5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carb or EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:01 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default Carb or EFI

In my case i have a 86gt. Ive been reading here for about a month and as stated befor i always had older chevys (aka carburated). Well it seems to cost a hell of a lot to build up these efi 5.0's. For example i have no cruise control in mine so the maf conversion seem like its gonne be a pain. I just know old motors and good at working on them. And seems as thought i could go tomoro and buy a decent cam and not worrie about some wierd SD suff or worring about a maf conversion if i had a carbed motor. Whats your guys thoughts plz try not to be bias cause most here are running efi im talking about in my case. Money is a lil tight and i know from experence i can build a decent motor with lil money. (speaking of old carbed 350's) But i have seen sick sick 302's carbed in older cars I always want a fox now i got one. I hope to get some good replies about advantages and disadvantages. (i know gas effencey goes down the sitter lmao)
Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Carb or EFI

Guess people thought this was a witch is better post
Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 AM
ampman_27
1st Gear Member

what do you plan on doing with it, mostly personal preference some guys will tell you different but mostly preference. personally my 302 in my 1996 is carbd
Old 03-19-2007, 03:56 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

Was it a hard swap. Even with no imputs i think my mind is set. I just know a carbed based motor alot more thav efi's. Its not that i dont wanna learn efi its just way out of my price range. Hows yours run and how hard was the swap? Ohh and i guess my 86 302 is the same 302 used for years so when i buy my manifold i just get one for a normal 302? (reason y i ask is chevy switched from regular valve covers to the center bolt ones witch the vortech heads were differnt and changed the angle of the center intake bolts) But the 302 has basicly remained the same throught out the years ?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:34 AM
Evil_F
3rd Gear Member

Did my 86'. I just didnt do the swap and keep everything else stock though. I redid all engine wiring and gauges for a clean swap. That was the difficult part. But swapping the engine components isnt all that difficult if you arent getting over your head. Its simplicity is a big plus over the EFI. Plus better aftermarket parts do to many year of making the carbed 302. EFI has some pluses. But being easy on the wallet isnt one of them. Only benifit from EFI is better accuracy in timing and fuel delivery. But it isnt just a lot better. It is easier to do though with computers. It is really a preference thing. Carb is simpler, easier, cheaper, and better parts. EFI tech is a slight improvement, & better for forced induction, yet pricy, uses many parts, & OEM EFI is over complicated do to emission stuff (electronics & vacuum gadgets). I would tell any do it yourselfer do go carbed really. Only if I was wanting to get the extreme potential (that like one rarely sees on an independently owned car) would I do EFI. Carbs are good enough for Nascar. EFI stinks.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:05 AM
wundaful1

I barely know what you're talkin' about...I have a '92 5.0 that needs some work...I hope to glean some info on these forums cause I am sick of morons screwing up my car...its all the wheels I have...this last one replaces the power steering pump and it kept making that weird noise...I called he didnt have time said it was ok bring it in Mon.(today...) well, I went to have the oil changed at Jiffy lube (free tickets to Long Bch Gran Prix with 20$ oil change) and it was like dry!!! so I will see if its a leak or what in my drivewway & then bith him out in about 6 hrs when he opens...180$ (110$ for labor...I gotta learn more about this car)