5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fuel safety switch info

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

Default fuel safety switch info

well guys as most of you know i have been dealing with an issue for sometime now with my car completely cutting out between hard shifts between gears. after much research i have found the problem, in our foxes there is a fuel pump safety swich in the rear of the car. i have a hatchback so its inside the hatch located beside the taillight. there is a plug there and when removed reveals a reset button which is used to reset after a hard hit. this switch was designed so in the event of a collision in the rear, the fuel pump disengages as to not pump fuel out in the event of a ruptured fuel line. there is two magnets that have a ball in between them that connects the loop on the switch. as our foxes age this ball may get slop in it due to decreased magnet strength and what not causing fuel pump to turn on and off under normal driving conditions sometimes, like when a really hard bump is hit or any good jolt for that manner. thus when i strengthened my suspension for drag racing every time i shifted hard the ball was moving from in between the magnets and causing the switch to disengage and cut my fuel pump off which caused the cutout and as the car leveled out from decreased power the ball rolls back in between the magnets closing the loop again and resuming acceleration. so if you guys are ever experiencing cutting out or spudering and no apparent sensor codes reset the switch there and it could be the problem. like a say this is usually only a problem with high miles on the body itself. to fix mine i just wired the switch in constant closed loop and no more problems. just a little info for anyone who doesnt know.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: fuel safety switch info

It's called an inertia switch. I would replace it rather than bypassing it. Glad you figured it out though.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 PM
jrhaden
2nd Gear Member

yeah probably need to replace it for safty reasons and all.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

i thought about it but being means most of the time i run my car on the strip rather than street because im 30 yearsold now and try to keep younger guys at the track racing rather than in the streets, i just bypassed it. in the event i do put it back on the street i will most certainly do this.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:46 PM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

atleast i wasen't the only person having problems but i still am. ya i've replaced the switch and nothing helped my car but oh well. trying to figure out something tomorrow/rest of the week.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:50 PM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

whats up georgia, what problems you having.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 PM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

whats up georgia, what problems you having.
fuel pump not getting power. changed the relay and the fuel cut off switch or "inertia switch" and nothing happened, also all the fuses are fine. yesterday i hooked up the fuel pump to the battery and started my engine and the pump was getting power and the car ran awesome but rich. so i have no idea what the heck is going on and such. not sure what wires go to the pump and i don't want to go splicing wires and them be the wrong ones trying to test them etc. thinking about paying someone the rest of my money to fix it. its simple and adder has explained it but i need it explained in like every single detail for like a little kid. just fustrated with it.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:02 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

it may be in the harness somewhere. start at the gas tank and work your way forward. where was the relay you changed
Old 03-20-2007, 12:10 AM
georgiaguy246
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

it may be in the harness somewhere. start at the gas tank and work your way forward. where was the relay you changed
changed the one under the drivers seat. i would follow the harness but i am afraid to cut up and seperate all the wires and such if you know what i mean. i guess i just might have to do that to figure out this problem. hopefully figure out something and have the car running. do you still have plans for the 460 or what?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

looks like im gonna be so busy this year i might not get around to it too soon but im moding my current 306 just for ****s and giggles. new maf setup and tb. also adding a AFR 4" power pipe rerouted to fender well and 30 lbs. injectors. but i was saying that start with the connection points on the harness before splitting the jacket and chasing wires down.

Quick Reply: fuel safety switch info