5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

push rods

Old 03-20-2007, 12:40 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default push rods

ok i and doin a h/c/i and i was wondering if i need new push rods.... they are in perfect conditon... no scraps or chips or wear on them at all.... tehy only have 45k miles on them

if i do need new ones which ones do i need... its a 95 cobra and these are the new lifters im putting in http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

which push rods are for these lifters... i dunno who to match lifters to rods but his all the comp cam rods from summit
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...873+115+400114

if i dont need ne then i dont wanna buy them... but i dont wanna cut corners... if u would like pictures of them i can get some up here... but not until tomorrow nite

thanks for ne help and advice

Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: push rods

your wasting your money on the lifters, you can use the old rollers no problem. which heads are you using? you need to check and see if yours are the right length before you'll know if you need new ones. if your using ford heads for your swap they will *probably* work just fine.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

yea im using the gt-40s that came on the car... there getting a nice new look tho... lol its quite exstinsive.... i need the new lifts because the springs i have to put in for the custom cam are quite a bit strong than stock... it was ill advised to use the stock lifters.... thats why i was wondering about the push rods

Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

the only real way to know the correct pushrod length is to do a valve to piston clearance check. then you will know what size will be right for your setup. something to remember is the exhaust rod is usually a little longer then the intake. this will also ensure you get all the compression possible from each cylinder.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:08 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

jesus lets see if i remember correctly..... the installed vavle stem hieght is something like 2.157 - 2.187 for BOTH intake and exhaust. the pushrod length is the same. what lift is this cam and what kinda spring pressures do you have where you would destroy stock lifters? if your going something that ***** out i would certainly suggest GOOD thickwalled hardend pushrods.

and pushrod length has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance, rather it is determined by the correct valvetrain geometry. the lifter must have some pre-load but not be bottomed out when the rocker arms are adjusted. (i sure hope you have screw-in studs and guideplates on these heads with the crazy specs your talking about). if they did your heads right, the stock length SHOULD be the right size where everything can be adjusted properly with your setup.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:12 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

What's your build like? If I were to guess, you're probably going to want hardened pushrods. Even if you don't need them yet, might as well while everything is apart.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:16 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

jesus lets see if i remember correctly..... the installed vavle stem hieght is something like 2.157 - 2.187 for BOTH intake and exhaust. the pushrod length is the same. what lift is this cam and what kinda spring pressures do you have where you would destroy stock lifters? if your going something that ***** out i would certainly suggest GOOD thickwalled hardend pushrods.

and pushrod length has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance, rather it is determined by the correct valvetrain geometry. the lifter must have some pre-load but not be bottomed out when the rocker arms are adjusted. (i sure hope you have screw-in studs and guideplates on these heads with the crazy specs your talking about). if they did your heads right, the stock length SHOULD be the right size where everything can be adjusted properly with your setup.
i guess i should order those chromalloy ones... are they pretty damn tuff??

yea im think rods are goin to be the same side... what do i measure when i go to measure htem tomorrow ... rod length obviously... but its it end ot end?? or there are this notched on them... like the ends are ball shaper or what ever and threr is a notch so do i measure notch to notch or end to end... also do u measure curcomfrance or diameter or htem..

Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: iceman89gt

the only real way to know the correct pushrod length is to do a valve to piston clearance check. then you will know what size will be right for your setup. something to remember is the exhaust rod is usually a little longer then the intake. this will also ensure you get all the compression possible from each cylinder.
sorry i made a boo boo, the intake pushrod will usually be longer than the exhaust. intake valve clearance should be atleast .080 and exhaust should be atleast .110 once the rods are installed find top dead center on each cylinder then set zero lash which will be accomplished by tightning both ex. and intk. rocker bolts until pushrod doesnt spin then back off slightly until it barely spins, thats zero lash. then tighten with torque wrench 18-25 ft. lbs. and you should reach this torque by 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns. if you go over 1 1/2 turns but not by much you will need to shim the pedestals and if its reachedbefore 3/4 turn then you need longer pusrod. you can buy a adjustable pushrod to drop in the hole and get the measurement you need for length of pushrod while the cylinder is top dead center. i hope this helps you and remember this is for a 302 roller set up with 1.6 rocker arm ratio.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 AM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone

What's your build like? If I were to guess, you're probably going to want hardened pushrods. Even if you don't need them yet, might as well while everything is apart.

yea im gettin a custom cam from jay allen... its fairly agreesive... along with thumper working the heads really well.. should flow like 185s... also his working the lower intake... just matching it up there mostly tho

then later down the road im gettin a blower 8-10 psi more than likely probably a lil methenal to make everything work together nicely... wanna hit round 425-475 so like 450hp would make me happy... and im guessing u shouldnt cheap out on rods... i mean if u throw one the engine mite be done rite?? so u think hardend pushrods it what i need? im guess thats hardend steel or am i wrong??

Old 03-20-2007, 01:35 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

anything hardend that are one piece style should be pretty good. the "*****" on the end are welded in and can pop off. the one on the left is a stock style, the one on the right is what you want.... i dunno exactly what style that one in the middle is LOL but i looks like the ***** are welded. did thumper cut down the rocker mounts and tap them for screw-in studs and guideplates? i really hope your not running a bolt down rocker with a huge *** lift cam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: push rods