5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hesitation\sticky throttle ---TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:34 AM
Nasty5.0

Default Hesitation\sticky throttle ---TPS?

I have some hesitation when i first get on the throttle. It feels almost hard to press the gas pedal and then it sputters and then drives fine from 10% to WOT. I've played around with TPS voltages and ive found out that the lower the voltage, the higher the hesitation is in the rpm range. Its almost like when the TPS gets to a certain voltage it sends a bad signal maybe? Could it be a sticky IAC. I ran some throttle body cleaner through and some electrical harness cleaner for the TPS. That didnt do anything. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 AM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hesitation\sticky throttle ---TPS?

does it feel the same when the car isn't running?????????
Old 03-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Nasty5.0

nope, it doesnt stick
Old 03-22-2007, 01:38 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

The TB linkage can get corroded, especially in cold and wet weather.

I had to smear a bunch of grease in the guide tube for the cable.
Pull the TB and look on the underside, you will see what I am talking about.

That is what your description sounds like to me....

jason
Old 03-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Nasty5.0

well, ill try that but i dont think thats the problem. I had the TPS set to .98 volts and it stuck at 800 rpms (at idle). I reset it to .87 volts (just to see) and i was able to go smothly into gear and give it a little gas but it would bog\stick at about 1200rpms just for about half a second and then its fine again. Idk ill try to lube the linkage
Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 AM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

ill bet you have carbon build up behind the butterfly when the engine is running vacum pulls it against the carbon causing sticky throttle when the motor is off no vacum no stick get some THROTTLE BODY cleaner and hose it out.. DO NOT use carb and choke cleaner on your throttle plate.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:51 AM
Nasty5.0

ORIGINAL: Nasty5.0

I have some hesitation when i first get on the throttle. It feels almost hard to press the gas pedal and then it sputters and then drives fine from 10% to WOT. I've played around with TPS voltages and ive found out that the lower the voltage, the higher the hesitation is in the rpm range. Its almost like when the TPS gets to a certain voltage it sends a bad signal maybe? Could it be a sticky IAC. I ran some throttle body cleaner through and some electrical harness cleaner for the TPS. That didnt do anything. Any ideas would be appreciated.
allready tried.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 AM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

hmmmm... engine off and it propped open??? did you spray it all the way around it? man i was positive that was your problem
Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Nasty5.0

yea, i sprayed it as much as i could but why would it stick at differnt rpms when the TPS was adjusted?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:04 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nasty5.0

well, ill try that but i dont think thats the problem. I had the TPS set to .98 volts and it stuck at 800 rpms (at idle). I reset it to .87 volts (just to see) and i was able to go smothly into gear and give it a little gas but it would bog\stick at about 1200rpms just for about half a second and then its fine again. Idk ill try to lube the linkage
It has NOTHING to do with your tps.
'Setting' the tps is pointless. As long as the voltage is between .6 to 1.2v, the computer will be happy.

I recommend you actually remove the TB to investigate the cause of the sticking.
You have already tried spraying TB cleaner in there, so pulling itseems likethe next step.

jason

Quick Reply: Hesitation\sticky throttle ---TPS?