5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Will be buying a 302 VERY soon...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 AM
norris

Default Will be buying a 302 VERY soon...

Hey all, this is my first post on the site... well I'm looking to buy a 302 mustang very soon, just saw one down the road from me and I've always wanted to buy one... Is there anything I should look out for in particular?? This car will be pretty much a long project car hopefully ending up with a fully built motor and turbo.

I'm not too worried bout the gear as I'm sure that will need to be built, but I'd want a gear to handle at least for another year or 2 so i can save up on rehauling it.. I've set my eyes on some forged internal assembly kits, but as finances will be a problem, I'm arguing whether to buy the rods, pistons and crank one at a time.

As far as mods go, initially I'll be wanting to spray the stang for the first 1-2years till i start working and get a turbo installed... so full bolt ons will hopefully be on the car within a year.

Can you guys give me pointers to what kind of power ill be seeing with full bolt ons and minor internals? (intake, throttle body, intake manifold, headers, exhaust, UD pulleys, electric accessories, 1.7 rockers and a mild cam (0.560 lift/exhaust).

As with transmission, I'll be throwing in a short shifter either from B&M or Hurst. Performance cluthes and lightened flywheel. What's the weakest point in these transmissions??

Sorry for all the questions, but I've researched high and low about parts and accessories, but would like to know answer from ppl who actually have had these parts installed... Thanks for your time!

Bader
Old 03-23-2007, 12:48 AM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Will be buying a 302 VERY soon...

.560 lift mild??????? possible valve to piston issue with stock piston
Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Put a good H/C/I combo on it. You should get into the 300+rwhp range. Spray 150hp from an NX kit on it.You shouldget into the~450rwhp. That should keep you happy for awhile and show you all your weaknesses in your suspension and driveline.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:38 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

1, Stay away from 1986 shortblock/engines. They use a positive deck hiegt which means the piston top comes out of the bore by about .040.
2, Also stay away from ANYTHING B&M MAKES, at one time it all very good stuff but it has really gone downhill....
3, Generally, earlier cars are lighter than than later ones, nothbacks are the lightest of the bunch and considered stronger than hatchbacks........
Old 03-23-2007, 01:54 AM
yellow93lx
2nd Gear Member

You might want to read up on Speed Density and make sure you know what type air meter it has. Good luck on the buy.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 AM
norris

Thanks for the replies... will be taking a look at the car today.. it's 7am where I am and I saw the car a couple hours ago.. ill give the owner a chance to get out of bed to ask him some more questions... Reading up on some more info, I think I will be going on with full BBK accessories.. reading an article on the SSI intake manifold BBK offers seems like a good investment, as well with some UD pullies and headers...

I've been visiting turbomustangs.com and someone there has stated he reached ~450whp and ~520wtq on a stcok engine with the B&G custom turbo kits... I think that will be the direction I'll be aiming for.. Can't wait to take the stang for a test drive
Old 03-23-2007, 02:13 AM
norris

ORIGINAL: KSnider93LX

You might want to read up on Speed Density and make sure you know what type air meter it has. Good luck on the buy.
If the stang is in speed density I'll love it even more!! I own a 2002 Trailblazer (which runs in Speed Density) with custom headers, exhaust, intake and tuning... Speed density to me is ALOT more easier to tune then MAF related engines...

With that in mind, any idea on how to tune these cars? I mean they are almost 20years old, and im thinking the "chip" idea might be going back to work? I have an LM1 WB 02, so I'm thinking maybe adjusting the fuel regulator to get thing in shape?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 AM
DIMMER
2nd Gear Member

I may be wrong. But in my experinces the light weight fly is dumb for a v8. In lil 4 banger needs itto spin up faster with out drag of weight. But in the chevys ive built a heavyer/ not heavy fly help more than it hurts. Whit a light fly your rpm drop faster between shifts. Whit a heaver fly ( not 1000lb'ner) It keeps the momentum up in the engine. with out the rpm drop. Unless your going full race then yea lighten up everything you can. But for a driver there is realy no point.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: norris
and a mild cam (0.560 lift/exhaust).
What's an aggressive cam then!?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:56 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: norris

ORIGINAL: KSnider93LX

If the stang is in speed density I'll love it even more!!
I own a 2002 Trailblazer (which runs in Speed Density) with custom headers, exhaust, intake and tuning... Speed density to me is ALOT more easier to tune then MAF related engines...

With that in mind, any idea on how to tune these cars? I mean they are almost 20years old, and im thinking the "chip" idea might be going back to work? I have an LM1 WB 02, so I'm thinking maybe adjusting the fuel regulator to get thing in shape?
FINALLY! im not the only one on here that doesnt think sd is the antichrist.... n e sd questions... let me know, lol.

Quick Reply: Will be buying a 302 VERY soon...