5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Son of a B*$ch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:55 PM
campbellsoup24
1st Gear Member

Default Son of a B*$ch!

I just took my car out today, first time since Sept. Everything was going fine until I pulled out of the gas station. I pulled out in front of a car that was going alot faster than I thought! I changed into second kind of hard to get moving and the gear grinded alittle, I figure no big deal its happend before? Well now everytime I try to put it into second it won't go, all it does is grinds bad,I can get it to go, but not without jamming it in! Anyone know what it is, or what it could be? I have new clutch soI know its not that. All the other gears are fine, and whenI am stopped and put it into second it's fine too?
I have a 93 Gt 5 spd.
Any info would be great!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:02 PM
pastang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Son of a B*$ch!

syncro?
Old 03-23-2007, 09:05 PM
nasty50
1st Gear Member

most likely the tranny.......i had the same thing happen to me a while back with third gear. it was my only car so i kept driving it and within a week i didn't have 3rd or 4th gear. the stock t5's are really weak, and i don't think its woth spending the $ on a rebuilt ($600-$1000), instead get a tko or a junkyard t5 if your tight on $.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:08 PM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

could be a syncro, deffanitly sounds like it. Also could be a broken pilot bearing maybe since you just got a new clutch put in. sometimes they break if they arent lined up perfictly.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Mikes Stang
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a blocker ring. (Placed in front of the sychronizer. Has a liner on it that goes out with age/abuse. Once the liner goes, the synchros don't mesh.) Best way I know to explain it. Probably not 100% right, but its the general idea.

Happened to me before in almost the same way. Pulled out in front of someone, nailed it, ground second and blew the blocker ring.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

yea that diffenetly sounds like a syncro problem... i agree with the other fellas... dont use 2nd gear until u get it check out... so 1,3,4... its a pain im sure but if it in the syncro then ull only make it worse by jamming it in there
Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 PM
BlazeGT
2nd Gear Member

Talk to coupe94gt. He does a lot of work with trannys. I was gonna have mine rebuilt by him, but im prolly going with a new tranny for the project im building. As far as i know, he's very knowledgable when it comes to trannys.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 AM
boof1027
2nd Gear Member

+1 He rebuilds t-5's and Dimebag is another one with alot of tranny knowledge.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:58 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

PFFTT dimebag? that guy don't know anything lol j/k yea he knows a good amount..

any way u may have bend a shift fork, more than likely it's the syncro... try to adjust the clutch a little tighter and see if that helps the clutch might not be releasing all the way so that could of caused it to grind in the first place...

and nasty the STOCK T-5 is stronger than u think it is, i have personaly seen them take mid 10 runs constantly

ORIGINALL: boof1027
+1 He rebuilds t-5's and Dimebag is another one with alot of tranny knowledge.
yea the blocker ring is PART of the syncro, and yes it has a line that goes out with normal driving and slightly faster when abused.... but the liner only help the syncro to no ware as fast, not having the linerWON'T make is not mesh
ORIGINAL: Mikes Stang

Sounds like a blocker ring. (Placed in front of the sychronizer. Has a liner on it that goes out with age/abuse. Once the liner goes, the synchros don't mesh.) Best way I know to explain it. Probably not 100% right, but its the general idea.

Happened to me before in almost the same way. Pulled out in front of someone, nailed it, ground second and blew the blocker ring.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Boosted5.slow
1st Gear Member

see mine was doing the same thing last week.but i got under the car and foud that the clutch cable was fraying apart.

Quick Reply: Son of a B*$ch!