5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Speedo Drive Gear PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Indy
1st Gear Member

Default Speedo Drive Gear PITA!

Hey guys,

Here's another issue I'd like to resolve b4 soon. If you read my other post, you'll know that my starter crapped out (by the way... thanks for the help everyone). Anyways, for the last 2 summers I've been driving without a speedometer in other words, driving by tach. I made up a little chart for in my sunvisor which indicated gear/rpm and speed, for the popular speed limits. I thought that would be fine but I'm sick of not knowing how fast going in between shifts. So having felt that, I decided to fix the speedo problem.

Problem was that the speedo drive gear inside the transmission (mounted to the output shaft) had moved and no longer engaged with the speedo cable gear. So I pulled the tailstock off of the T5 and found the speedo drive gear retaining clip had fallen out and the gearslid rearwards on the shaft.I went to a tranny shop and got anew clip for the gear, reinstalled it and tested my speedo operation with the rear wheels up off the ground via jackstands. Workedjust fine. Now... a couple days ago Ihad a buddy help bumpstart the car (because starter shot), to take thisyears first cruise. Short trip of 45 minutes and everything is good! Later that night, I decided to take a second trip and the damn speedo stopped working. I pulled thecable end out of the tranny and sureenough, thesame problem. Thedrive gear had moved out of position.

As you can guess... I'm calling out to all those T5 pros and others thatmight have had and hopefully resolved this problem, for some help here.

Thanks again Stangers,
Indy

'69 357W in '79 Fox Mustang .030" Flat-Tops, 11:1 Compression.
'86 T5, 8.8" Posi w/ 3.73 FRPP gears.

Holley 750DP and Fuel Pump, RPM Intake, RPM Heads (2.02"/1.60"), Comp Magnum Rockers, Comp Pushrods, Crane Cam & Lifters, BBK L.T. Header
Old 03-24-2007, 10:32 PM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Speedo Drive Gear PITA!

sounds like you need a new cable or the gear is worn to the point that after a while of driving the clip falls out
Old 03-24-2007, 11:42 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

ditto
Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Indy

Hey guys,

Here's another issue I'd like to resolve b4 soon. If you read my other post, you'll know that my starter crapped out (by the way... thanks for the help everyone). Anyways, for the last 2 summers I've been driving without a speedometer in other words, driving by tach. I made up a little chart for in my sunvisor which indicated gear/rpm and speed, for the popular speed limits. I thought that would be fine but I'm sick of not knowing how fast going in between shifts. So having felt that, I decided to fix the speedo problem.

Problem was that the speedo drive gear inside the transmission (mounted to the output shaft) had moved and no longer engaged with the speedo cable gear. So I pulled the tailstock off of the T5 and found the speedo drive gear retaining clip had fallen out and the gearslid rearwards on the shaft.I went to a tranny shop and got anew clip for the gear, reinstalled it and tested my speedo operation with the rear wheels up off the ground via jackstands. Workedjust fine. Now... a couple days ago Ihad a buddy help bumpstart the car (because starter shot), to take thisyears first cruise. Short trip of 45 minutes and everything is good! Later that night, I decided to take a second trip and the damn speedo stopped working. I pulled thecable end out of the tranny and sureenough, thesame problem. Thedrive gear had moved out of position.

As you can guess... I'm calling out to all those T5 pros and others thatmight have had and hopefully resolved this problem, for some help here.

Thanks again Stangers,
Indy
hey someone with my same issue.. only i had a bad 2nd gear syncro in my old trans that this happend in installed a good tranny under the car and not only was ihappy to have good tranny thatshifted great i washappy to have my speedo backand 2 days later the damn gear moved again..so i know it wasnt the gear in the tranny so it has to be either cable or gear on cable..i shined the light up in there and inched it back in place with a screw driver withoutremoving tail of transand works for about two days at a time but seen the gear on the cable itself needs to be replaced... a couple of splines damagedits working right now just waiting for it tomove again

im going to replace the gear on the cable and cable then put the tranny gear back in place...hopefully all will be fine then.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:36 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

I would replace the cable as well If you youhave a 50/50 chance of fixing it with just replaceing teh gear with a new one whats another $20.00 spent on a new cable and you'll be done with it knowing everything is new
Old 03-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Indy
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses guys!
I'm using a brand new cable and a brand new cable (driven) gear, when this happened. I will inspect the cable gear to see if there is any damage, but like I'm saying it's brand new. I installed it when I put the tranny (drive) gear back in place, like mustangfxbdy did.

Let me knowhowyou make out too, mustangfxbdy. Anyone else have any ideas? One question though, mustangfxbdy how do you get the clip onto the output shaft without removing the tailstock of the tranny?

Much appreciated guys,
Indy
Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 AM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

sure you have the right gear for your trans?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Indy
1st Gear Member

Hmmm, dunno...

The cable I bought for a '79 mustang... with an 18 tooth yellow gear. The 86' GT T5 tranny has the stock yellow 7 tooth gear. Now that 2 kwik has me thinking, the '79 came with a 4 speed originally. Can anyone verify if the Speedo cable gear for the '79 has a different pitch or something than what is required to mesh correctly with the '86 T5?

Thanks 2 kwik, causing deep thoughts here,lol
Indy
Old 03-25-2007, 03:47 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2 kwik

sure you have the right gear for your trans?
not sure on that one the gear on the speedocable and gear in the trans are yellow but my car is an 89 gt and the trans came out of a 93 gt.. my car came with the 140speedo from the factory so im not sure what gear for the speedo cable i need... thats the reason i havent replaced everything yet i just move the tranny gear back in place and sometimes it last 2 days sometims it last a week... but there was only 3 drive gears for the t5 tranny a black, blue and yellow drive gear. so since ive got a yellow drive gear and driven gear that should be 100 percent correct but it looks that a couple of teeth on the driven gear are slightly damaged i would imagine enough for this to happen...

the clip never fell off its still wedged in place.. i knocked the clip off on the other tranny but this one is still wedged in between shaft and gear.. the gear is not coming completly off the spot where it sets it just moves back enough for the speedo to act up...
I havent replaced the cable or gear on the cable yet.. but im about too this next week... but ive put the drive gear in the trans back in place....its real tight on the shaft so it doesnt go anywhere untill whatever is causing it happens... im thinking that the gear on the cable is wrong for the drive gear in the trans or the cable is binding up.... not sure... after i get the new cable and cable gear and it still moves which i think it wont... im going to go ahead and take the tailshaft off the tranny and replace that gear and a new clip....
Old 03-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Indy
1st Gear Member

Thanks... let me know how you make out. In the mean time, if anybody knows if there is indeed a difference in design between these speedo gears, please help us out.

Thanks again,
Indy

Quick Reply: Speedo Drive Gear PITA!