5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cylinder head guys...need your help evaluating my junkyard GT40Ps!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:29 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default Cylinder head guys...need your help evaluating my junkyard GT40Ps!

Got them pulled apart tonight...what do you all think about the seats/guides? I'm pretty sure these heads will clean up well after a hot tank and valve job.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a363/vigcs/heads/
Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cylinder head guys...need your help evaluating my junkyard GT40Ps!

dayum, those are expensive spark plugs . see if you can clean em up LOL.

they will be fine, highly doubtful there is any guide wear. you WILL need a valve job, the exhausts arent sealing all the way. look at the bottom of the ex seat in pic " DSC01235" see the grey? thats where its not seating.

valve job / surface and you'll be gravy. oh i saw at least one broken off valve cover bolt too - spend the 10-20 bucks and let them repair it, trust me it'll save you alot of headache

see what looks like a sharp angle under the ex seats, some "machine porting" will clear that problem right up for ya.

oh yeah, make sure they give you similar valve seals (on top of the guides) dont settle for the cheaper ones, they dont last as long. also if your going to go with a higher lift cam you can ask them to cut the guides down a little. its REALLY easy and you can actually buy the tool yourself for 65 bucks from goodson supplies
Old 03-25-2007, 01:15 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

What about a small milling to be safe, too? Maybe .010"?

I'm honestly not 100% sure what the guides are...is the the passage the valves travel in? As for the seals...I plan on getting the trick flow valve spring kit which has conveniently disappeared from summit's site. It comes with everything needed. I'm going to be running a B303 'cause I'm getting it for free esentially.

Any suggestions on new valves to look for? I'd like to get all new valves, on budget if possible...like $80 for them all.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:31 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

80 bucks for 16 valves? not happening LOL. unless there is serious rust pitting on your valves, reuse them. you would be surprized at how well they clean up when they are glass beaded.

the guides are what the valve travels up and down in, so yeah

surface = milling, it should be part of the valve job, if its not - well then they are hosing you for the extra cash basically. a VJ and surface should be 150-250 bucks.

with a b cam, you really dont need bigger springs, but they would be beneficial when you realize the b cam isnt enough.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:40 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

80 bucks for 16 valves? not happening LOL. unless there is serious rust pitting on your valves, reuse them. you would be surprized at how well they clean up when they are glass beaded.

the guides are what the valve travels up and down in, so yeah

surface = milling, it should be part of the valve job, if its not - well then they are hosing you for the extra cash basically. a VJ and surface should be 150-250 bucks.

with a b cam, you really dont need bigger springs, but they would be beneficial when you realize the b cam isnt enough.

I'll get pics of the valves for you tomorrow. It's too late now [X(]. All of my exhaust valves looks pretty good, the intake valves are the ones in question. I'm definately replacing the springs though....the heads have a lot of miles on them.

Also, all the machine shop is doing is removing two broken valve cover bolts, removing a broken intake bolt, and one bent sparkplug, and glassbeading the valves depending on what kind of shape they're in. My uncle used to be a machinist and he has access access to the tools to do all the work except for cleaning and valve guides, so he'll be doing the valve job and milling.