5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Scat, Eagle, Sealed Power: how good??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:23 PM
blackfox6886
1st Gear Member

Default Scat, Eagle, Sealed Power: how good??

hey i planning a 331 N/A build and ive been looking at getting all forged internals. i thinking about a Scat crank, Eagle rods, and Sealed Power pistons. im hoping to get about 400hp out of it.

my question is what type of rod: H beam or I beam?? and how good are these parts for the money?? i would like to get the best parts i can.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:41 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Scat, Eagle, Sealed Power: how good??

i heard eagle has had some quality control issues with their machining lately, but their castings are strong and chances are you wouldnt have any machining spec issues (obviously you should be checking these things before assembly)

scat makes excellent products, and sealed power is federal mogul and what used to be TRW..... very good quality stuff
Old 03-27-2007, 10:49 PM
blackfox6886
1st Gear Member

thanx what about the type of rods i should use? the H beam or I beam
Old 03-27-2007, 10:59 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Stock block?

You are going to save a bunch of money by buying a kit. Buying individual parts to make a rotating assembly isn't always the best idea (although in some cases it may be). In your case, I'd buy a kit.

I would definately not pay the extra to put a forged crank in a stock block. I would also not go with end with the crank (forged) and go low end with the pistons (Speed Pro).

400hp and N/A isn't really pushing the limitations at all. I could set you up with everything for under $900 shipped.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:00 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfox6886

thanx what about the type of rods i should use? the H beam or I beam
H beam is an upgrade in majority of kits. I see no reason you'd need them.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:05 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

full, this is the first time i havent agreed with a post of yours.... i know je, probe, and aries make excellent pistons - but unless you really are using them in an application like ***** out drag racing orsomething, i wouldnt see any problem with speedpro pistons.

they are forged, and if im not mistaken have coated skirts. some of the other brands may be a little lighter, but IMO that would be a similar upgrade compared to using h beams and a forged crank, ya know?

basically for any street stroker build i would have no reserves about speedpro stuff
Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 PM
blackfox6886
1st Gear Member

yeah im gonna be using a stock block. why isnt the forged crank worth it, and what pistons would u recommend that are a higher end piston?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:11 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

because you'd destroy your stock block before you snapped a cast steel crank (which is what the base stroker packages come with)

JE, Probe, Weisco, Arias make EXCELLENT pistons.... IMO, and this is from plenty of race motors built at our machine shop - you will have zero problems with speed pro pistons. hell, most of the high dollar kits with high dollar pistons come with speed pro's plasma moly rings if that tells you anything

(arias 347 stroker pistons are approx 95.00 EACH)
Old 03-27-2007, 11:19 PM
blackfox6886
1st Gear Member

thanx for the help ill look into some of the kits and compare prices and quality
Old 03-27-2007, 11:28 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

full, this is the first time i havent agreed with a post of yours.... i know je, probe, and aries make excellent pistons - but unless you really are using them in an application like ***** out drag racing orsomething, i wouldnt see any problem with speedpro pistons.

they are forged, and if im not mistaken have coated skirts. some of the other brands may be a little lighter, but IMO that would be a similar upgrade compared to using h beams and a forged crank, ya know?

basically for any street stroker build i would have no reserves about speedpro stuff
I met low end as in price. They aren't a poor quality piston. They are heavy. They are not full floating. I don't think you'll disagree there. For these reasons, they compete with Probe FPS and KBforged. I have used them in the past and might consider them again if I didn't get such a good deal on Probe pistons. A Probe SRS piston is a full floating 2618 aluminum alloy piston. They are fully CNC'd in house. They compete directly with JE in quality but are much cheaper.

You would be hard pressed to find someone using a Speed Pro piston with a forged crank. That was my point. I see no need for the forged crank. If you were wanting to use a Speed Pro piston, go with a nodular iron or cast steel crank and an I beam rod.

Now, if you could get a Scat crank, Scat 4340 forgedI beam rods, Probe SRS pistons,Clevite 77 bearings, Total Seal rings all for $800 + shipping all new in the box, howmuch money do you think you could save buying it all piece by piece elsewhere? Would the quality be the same? Is the sacrifice in quality worth the savings?

Quick Reply: Scat, Eagle, Sealed Power: how good??