5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pease Help! should i rebuild or sell!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 PM
james123

Default RE: Pease Help! should i rebuild or sell!!

Does this look like a good solid car..it's either this or a 95' 5.0.....1993 Ford Mustang Coupe ...351 Windsor with new Tremec TKO 600, forged internals, Edlebrock intake with Holley 830 cfm carb. Aluminum radiotor and drive shaft loop, subframe connectors, 4.10 gears, MSD ignition, electric cooling fan, fiberglass hood, Autometer guages, flowmasters, H pipe Weld Racing Wheels and Mickey Thomson Tires (drag radials) Over $15,000 invested!

[hr]

On Mar-22-07 at 04:54:29 PDT, seller added the following information:
Inteior good with no rips or tears. Body has no rust but could use painting, especially bumbers. Not yet mentioned engine has steel crank, Ross pistons. Lunati cam and Crane roller rockers.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Wow, I cant even believe you are comparing! LoL. You are comparing a 93 5.8 12 second Notch to a 95 5.0 16 second Vert

I would DEFINETLY go with the Notch. Is this car a DD though? People drive carb'd DD's all the time but EFI is a little more leaneant (sp?) with condition change, etc.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 PM
james123

Im not sure...but this car is abt 5 miles away from my house...the other is about 50, the only thing i dont like about the notch is the blue interior
Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM
james123

Are 3.77 or 4.10 Gears better???
Old 03-28-2007, 01:06 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

First let me say that you are going to get some biased opinions as you posted your question about selling the camaro and getting a mustang in a mustang forum. If you posted the same question in a camaro forum, the answer would be to fix the car you have. If you are looking at making a change and like the looks of a mustang, go for it. In terms of which car to buy, being as you are 16 be aware that not only will a V8 raise your insurance, but so will a convertible, or a 4x4 (not relevant for a mustang) So the best thing to do is call your insurance company and get a quote. As for the notch, I would stay away from it. I honestly think that is too much car for a young driver. (Don't want any mustang enthusiasts to be wrapping themselves around a tree) Not to mention you want to buy a car that is local so you can check it out before purchasing. In terms of the gear question you posted, the general consensus is that a 5spd should go with a 3.73 and an auto should go with a 4.10. Neither are stock setups and yes, these gears will cause your gas mileage to go down. However, they will give you a better launch. Just so you know what the gear numbers mean, a 3.73 gear means the drive shaft will turn 3.73 times to every one revolution of the rear wheels. A 4.10 gear means the drive shaft will turn 4.10 times to every one revolution of the rear wheels. The impact is the car revs higher and has less strain on the low end to get the car moving. However, if you go with too tall of a gear like a 4.90 then what happens is you are super fast off the line, but can't get above 55mph because you are reving the he11 out of your engine.

No matter how you choose to proceed, due your research and look around. There are plenty of mustangs out there so don't rush into something because you think it is the last one.

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:07 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

There is no BETTER gear. There are a few factors that come into play when choosing a gear. Automatic or stick? Street car? strip car? Street/strip car? bolt on 5.0? hard worked 5.0? boosted? highway driving? etc.

EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN PERSONAL OPINION when it comes to gears so its hard to get an answer on what will be the best gear for your application. IMHO, if you have a bolt on NA car 4.10's are great. Depending on if its a 5spd or auto. I like 4.10's w/ both but alot of guys w/ 5spds dont like 4.10's because of the constant shifting that occurs with those gears.... not for an auto thats obviously not a problem.

Another factor is what you use the car for... if you do alot of highway driving 4.10's might not be the best option for you because of the cruising speeds. But to be totally honest, the RPM difference between 3.73's and 4.10's is minimal. In the city, IMHO it doesnt really matter. I went from 2.73's to 3.90's in my 93 AOD and I BARELY seen a difference in gas mileage during city driving, I rarely take it on the highway though at all.

Figure out what your goals are for the car, what you plan on using it for and than make a decision on on gear ratio.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

As for what Hawk posted... I dont believe that about you being 16 so you cannot have a worked car. You just need to be extra careful when driving and not act like a retard. I had my Mustang since I was 15, it wasnt as worked as yours but it had some work into it and was pretty quick IMO. As long as you dont get into it and turn into a immature ***** you should be OK.

As for looking around I agree 100%. There are TONS of Mustangs out there so dont rush into the first one you buy. I did that, and I HIGHLY regret it.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
james123

well no matter what car i buy hp is not really a problem because i've been driving my 400hp+ camaro since i was 15. Not trying to sound like im the most experienced driver because im far from it i just know what i can and cannot handle. Im not really sure what to buy i like the body style of the vert a lot better than the notch.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:15 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Get whatever you like. All the Stangs arent going to dissapear off the face of the earth when you decide to look for one so just take your time and make sure you make the right decision. I mean, if you buy a car and than dont like it you can always get rid of it and get another one but its convienent not to have to go through all of that twice lol.

As for the vert, I recommend that you have some cash set aside for some modding. If you are going from a 400hp Camaro to a 95 5.0 Vert your in for a MAJOR change! LoL Save some money so you can get some work done to it when you get it!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
james123

Yea i plan on saving a lot of money no matter what i buy....The vert is on $4,995 but it has 166,000 miles so i dunno but i would have about $4500-$5000 left over

Quick Reply: Pease Help! should i rebuild or sell!!