5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A not so interesting post..safety

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 PM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A not so interesting post..safety

ORIGINAL: fordguy17

My question is about seatbelts. My car is now 15 years old and im curious to know whether or not the belts will hold up in a bad crash.

my friends father recently flipped his older (early 90's) dodge, and the seatbelt snapped and he was ejected and it tore his face all up.

he was a heavier man but no monster.

i inspected them visually and they have no tear's on them or anything. basically they look fine.

my father works with fibres though and he says that over time they do break down especially in an enviroment such as inside a car, with the extreme heat, moisture, and cold.

any input? thanks!
I have had to cut many folks out of seat belts over the years or cut belts as part of a complete roof removal, they never seem to cut smoothly with the tool designed to cut them and I don't remember any body being ejected and finding a broken belt that would end up indicating someone is unaccounted for at a crash scene. I have seen many ejections because of not using seatbelts. I will research this further now that you have tweaked my curiosity. my belts are 17 years old.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:25 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

frankbullitt
How hard is it to install aftermarket 4 point seatbelts and its seems like a dumb question but do they still work well with stock seats.
no it wont work. 4 points need a seat compatible with your 4 point belt. the whole point of a 4 point is safety. stock seats arent even close, most belts mount to the roll cage.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:11 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

I have an 87 Ram and the belts themselves were fine. At the end on the floor behind the seat they loop around a steel buckle then they are stitched back to itself. The thread rotted rendering the belt useless so this is a valid thread and us with older vehicles should be concerned.

This was my middle seat belt in a regular cab truck which is just a non spring tensioned lap belt. The belts on either end curl up on a retractable spool. I have no fears of them being a problem.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:37 PM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordguy17

My question is about seatbelts. My car is now 15 years old and im curious to know whether or not the belts will hold up in a bad crash.

my friends father recently flipped his older (early 90's) dodge, and the seatbelt snapped and he was ejected and it tore his face all up.

he was a heavier man but no monster.

i inspected them visually and they have no tear's on them or anything. basically they look fine.

my father works with fibres though and he says that over time they do break down especially in an enviroment such as inside a car, with the extreme heat, moisture, and cold.

any input? thanks!

This is a very Valid thread-----

I tried State Farm insurance for seatbelt info ( figuring seatbelt info would be part of there risk/ cost analysis) NO LUCK

I called FORD they said try parts or service Dept at dealer( my guess is they will say wow 17 years old!, you need to buy new seat belts $$$$$$$)

I am waiting for the NHTSA to get back to me, they said they would research the lifespan of seatbelts and get back to me.

stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!