5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

AOD VS. C4

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default AOD VS. C4

[align=left]im on a real strict budget and anything done whether its a c4 conversion or a AOD teardown-performance buildup. i need quick shifts none of that buttery slip shiftinsh*t my aod does.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]now if i build my aod (kevlar clutches, manual valvebody, maybe a trans brake MAYBE) would that be worth the effort and money or do you guys think itll be easier with a full C4 conversion and not have to worry about aod reliability anymore. i know several guys on here with C4s built like pony guys and ive seen him leave off the brake with stickies what a site! [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]which path is cheaper and what would be the smarter choice? [/align][align=left]ive seenread up on numerous peopledumping all kinds of money intotheir aod and still itsux. i dont want that to be me keep in mind i know NOTHING about what goes on in trannys and dont know much about the differences in the c4 vs the aod. ive pulled about 3 tranny pans in my lifetime to change the filters thats about it. ill beusing many resources when this all starts. [/align][align=left]all expierience is appreciated. [/align][align=left][/align]
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: AOD VS. C4

An AOD can be reliable if built and maintained properly. Personally, I love my OD. But the C4 is cheaper. It's up to you dude.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:20 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

c4 is stronger and cheaper.

BUT....cheaper from the git, you lose od so in the end you'll spend more on gas.

i tried the aod buildup way back, didn't go so good for me, i wish did a t5 swap personally. i spent about $2000 on a "bulletproof" aod rebuild, better clutches, higher stall, different gearing, everything.

it lasted 8 months in a 14 second car

i have owned 2 aod cars, and 3 5-speed cars, i like the t5 best,but i like the c4 too for a race app

Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
hellas85stang
4th Gear Member

i like aod better when built....i have od for better gas,or i can shift it manually with a vb swap,and get bad *** shifts and when i am done at races,i cruise home... i hada aod with 330 rwhp A servo,high energy bands and clutchs,a 3000 stall held up fine,make sure ya have a good cooler
Old 03-28-2007, 10:40 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

nitrous i think you got a bum build if you only got 8 months on ANY freshly rebuilt trans.

my C4 is built tough but still overdrive would be hella nice
Old 03-28-2007, 10:49 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

BUT....cheaper from the git, you lose od so in the end you'll spend more on gas.

i tried the aod buildup way back, didn't go so good for me, i wish did a t5 swap personally. i spent about $2000 on a "bulletproof" aod rebuild, better clutches, higher stall, different gearing, everything.

i have owned 2 aod cars, and 3 5-speed cars, i like the t5 best,but i like the c4 too for a race app

Who built your "bulletproof"tranny? What was the line pressure set at, at idle?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

nitrous_bob

it probably lasted only 8 months since AOD's run obnoxiously hot and the exess power maybe just did it over? what went on your trans?
My next post will probably be asking whats involved in a C4 swap.

You guys with a C4 howare the ratios are they close together making em bad on the highway? with 4 gears i cant see how it could be THAT bad i could off set them with lower ratio gears out back....
Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whiteout 5.0

nitrous_bob

it probably lasted only 8 months since AOD's run obnoxiously hot and the exess power maybe just did it over? what went on your trans?
My next post will probably be asking whats involved in a C4 swap.

You guys with a C4 howare the ratios are they close together making em bad on the highway? with 4 gears i cant see how it could be THAT bad i could off set them with lower ratio gears out back....
First of all, the C4 doesn't have 4 gears . Please tell me where you get your info on the AOD? Here's a good site to take a look at http://www.clickclickracing.com/
Old 03-28-2007, 11:20 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

C4's only have 3 gears

3rd is 1:1..... so drive around with yours with OD turned off...... thats what it will be like while cruising with a C4
Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

thanx guys! my buddys got what i thought was a c4 in his eddie bauer bronco and that has over drive. with a 351w i think it was a 95? i wasnt kidding when i told you i knew nothing about transmissions thats why im posting here! im looking for expierienced people to educate me [8D]

3 gears? thats rough. i have stock aod gears back there. but its a durable trans ill just do 55 in the slow lane if thats the case and watch the people blast past me doin 80 in the fast lane. not a big deal i drive a 3 cyl geo im used to it already.

any other issues with the C4? What kind of power can it handle?

Quick Reply: AOD VS. C4