MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/266326-carbon-fiber-drive-shaft.html)

influence 03-29-2007 05:28 PM

Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft

I am pretty excited about this one. My buddy manufactures Carbon DS. He is going to begin one for the Fox's. I will let you know when I get it with some Dyno charts.

LTnone 03-29-2007 05:35 PM

RE: Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft

You're not buying one, are you?

dimebag 03-29-2007 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: LTnone

You're not buying one, are you?
hahahahahahahahahahaha

94 G STANG 03-29-2007 06:12 PM

carbon fiber driveshaft?????????????????is this fo reallll?????

Steve13380 03-29-2007 06:42 PM

pretty unkillable when built rightand make a noticable difference on some cars, be interesting what difference it makes on a stang.

weve been asked to test one for another car, company is claiming it transforms the car, i know it makes a fair difference from the drag cars i know thats used them, but im sceptical about it transforming it, surely no more than shaving the same amount from a flywheel would.

well actually, now i put it like that, you take a LOT more weight off the shaft than you do off a flywheel, so hmm, it may well make a fair huge difference.

usually damn expensive though!

dimebag 03-29-2007 06:45 PM

id have a hard time trusting it... eevn tho they prob are stronger... id be scared to launch like a mother ****er off of it

LTnone 03-29-2007 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve13380

be interesting what difference it makes on a stang.

About the same as an aluminum one...on a stock-ish car, next to jack squat. About the worst bang for the buck mod I can think of

Steve13380 03-29-2007 07:43 PM

well about the strength, i can think of a few on 1000bhp+ 4wd drag cars on full slicks, and they seem to last well, some of these companies offer warrentys as they so convinced it wont break.

sure itd change things a lot more than aluminium, will weigh about half that even with the metal ends, but how much, who knows

vristang 03-29-2007 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: dimebag

id have a hard time trusting it... eevn tho they prob are stronger... id be scared to launch like a mother ****er off of it
I would be more worried about launching hard on an aluminum ds, especially an Al. shaft that had been used for several years... Fatigue corrosion is bad...

The new Boeing 787 is going to be an all composite fuselage. I think a ds can be designed to handle some hp...

If possible please answer the following...
I am curious...
Are these going to use epoxy resin?
Vac bagged?
Autoclaved?
Prepreg?
I assume the guy has a mandrel and can filament wind the shaft...
How are the u-joints to be attached?

jason

influence 03-29-2007 11:39 PM

II know they do vacuum seal, but ill have to hit him up on which process it actually is. It is not a sheet of carbon, the carbon is thread and wound. The yolks are CNC Billet. There is a lot less rotating mass. I saw a dyno run on a 500hp Sti, basically the shaft allowed to get to max HP and TQ faster and much steadier...if that makes sense. But I will keep you guys updated.