5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why would my exhaust hurt my performance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 12:35 AM
87GT hatch
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Why would my exhaust hurt my performance?

Back pressure improves torque but at the sacrifise of some horse power.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

ask me if i care to see what my mufflers look like under my car? nope as long as they last for a few good years then you can just get the newer improved models. shinny **** under acar dont mean **** on a street car. just like show motors no need to when just about speed, remember this show dont get ya home actually chrome dont get ya home but same concept
ORIGINAL: bobby

but they rust out[&:]
Old 11-17-2004, 12:57 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

all i have on my car is headers and hpipe, when i put on a 2 chamber flow catback, will i lose hp? tq? noticeable that is
Old 11-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

no you will gain some power. one your freeing up the flow in the exhaust. if yoru stock your steping up in diameter which helps. youll gain and love the sound. you may lose very low bottomend but youll make up for it in mid to upper with a good catback. it will be a happy improve ment
ORIGINAL: nemethjames1

all i have on my car is headers and hpipe, when i put on a 2 chamber flow catback, will i lose hp? tq? noticeable that is
Old 11-17-2004, 01:05 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

thats just it, i dont have a cat back, so i would think there wouldnt be any backpressure... if it just ends at the hpipe that would allow it esier flow wouldnt it?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:07 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

i know, i dont care about shinny mufflers
ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

ask me if i care to see what my mufflers look like under my car? nope as long as they last for a few good years then you can just get the newer improved models. shinny **** under acar dont mean **** on a street car. just like show motors no need to when just about speed, remember this show dont get ya home actually chrome dont get ya home but same concept
ORIGINAL: bobby

but they rust out[&:]
Old 11-17-2004, 01:10 AM
87GT hatch
1st Gear Member

yes because there is nothing restricting the flow of the exhaust. Backpressure is a kinda confusing subject because to get the perfect performance out of your car and I mean perfect power gains you would have to sit down and really look through your options.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you need back pressure on a street car and low powerd car. now a high hp car can afford to lose bottem end. they are usually equipped with cams anyways that elimnate low end anyways to make up for topend pull. its a give or take situation. you either have low to mid power with some topend or have no lowend and have mid to upper power. or just plain out topend and nothing else
ORIGINAL: nemethjames1

thats just it, i dont have a cat back, so i would think there wouldnt be any backpressure... if it just ends at the hpipe that would allow it esier flow wouldnt it?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:13 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

EXCACTLY
Old 11-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

well magnaflows do have better flowing rate but they sound like ***. you will hate the full system of magnaflows over flows dump'd. youll gain more low to mid power with the full system. enough where you will feel it again. your peak numbers may not change but your dyno sheet will show better in the low to mid range. this is where most ppl drive anyways
There's a difference between MagnaPACKS and MagnaFLOWS
and Packs are deeper then 2chamber flows.
Made the switch and was the FIRST thing I noticed.

Quick Reply: Why would my exhaust hurt my performance?