5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MAF vs. SD

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 12:33 AM
87GT hatch
1st Gear Member

Default MAF vs. SD

Okay here's one for you guys. Say you have an 87 GT 5spd. You put a Cold air, headers, rest of the exhaust, heads, and intake manifold on it. Which would run better for these applications-speed density or MAF? Consider both are tuned to perfection. Which option would you get the best performance out of? Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 12:35 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MAF vs. SD

MAF
Old 11-17-2004, 12:43 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

sorry but a SD car hands down runs better then a MAF car stock. now with same mods and both with good tunes the SD car still wins but it costs more money to properly tune a SD but if you can afford it and got the patience keep it but trust me if you cant personally tune the car yourself dont do it. MAF is alot easier to keep up on. since the A9L computer has more room in its processor to adjust to mods where the SD computer isnt as forgiving with mods. but if you can do a Standalone with SD it will run alot better then any mAF. look at your big guns they run SD in their rides rather it be GM or Ford or even some foreign cars.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:04 AM
87GT hatch
1st Gear Member

Thanks. My friends and me were arguing this today and I stood the side of SD. I'm pretty competitive in aguments so do you know any websites that would prove this or do you know from past experience.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

experiences, articles about it, research **** like that gave me that info. best thing to do is get as many books you possibly can and read up on these cars or any car. the more you know the better off you are. im only wise cause i read alot and attempted the rest.
ORIGINAL: 87GT hatch

Thanks. My friends and me were arguing this today and I stood the side of SD. I'm pretty competitive in aguments so do you know any websites that would prove this or do you know from past experience.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:08 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

NO sites, just race him and see!
Old 11-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

my car now is SD and believe it or not the SD computer can adjust to some serious mods given the proper cycles but its more of a pain then it would be for a MAF car. its just that a SD computer has to work alot more to adjust to the mods. but dont think im saying a off the hook cam or big time flowing heads. there isnt that much room in the processor to adjust for that
Old 11-17-2004, 01:18 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

how excactly does speed density work? does ir runoff of engine rpm or somethin?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

The SD system is best described as a calculation procedure used by the electronic engine control module that involves predetermined operating parameter values, volumetric efficiency talbes, premesasured airflow-through-the-engine values, and the nknow volume of the fuel delivery required per combustion event for a singel cylinder. Management of fuel and spark functions is based mainly on a predetermined range of preprogrammed data and also on a real time feedback data from an array of sensors.
Speed signal is based on the calculated vlovume of a single cylinder. Density signal is a function of tempterature and pressure measurements
ORIGINAL: bobby

Old 11-17-2004, 01:31 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

WOW, AHAHAHA, thats some compicated shiat! thanks a lot man!
ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

The SD system is best described as a calculation procedure used by the electronic engine control module that involves predetermined operating parameter values, volumetric efficiency talbes, premesasured airflow-through-the-engine values, and the nknow volume of the fuel delivery required per combustion event for a singel cylinder. Management of fuel and spark functions is based mainly on a predetermined range of preprogrammed data and also on a real time feedback data from an array of sensors.
Speed signal is based on the calculated vlovume of a single cylinder. Density signal is a function of tempterature and pressure measurements
ORIGINAL: bobby

Quick Reply: MAF vs. SD