MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Dumb ? about setting the timing too high. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/267019-dumb-about-setting-the-timing-too-high.html)

tmajikman 03-31-2007 12:15 AM

Dumb ? about setting the timing too high.

What type of sound will I hear if my timing is set too high, detonation, I think is the right word. I did get my timingpointer,and I am reading the mark ornumber in the small circle area. At least I admitted this was a dumb question right away. I just don't want to destroy anything. Thanks

AdderMk2 03-31-2007 12:25 AM

RE: Dumb ? about setting the timing too high.

the circle area is the wrong place to be reading... you should look at the top of the pointer.....
NOT THE CIRCLE

tmajikman 03-31-2007 12:29 AM

Where it actually says time. Well I know what I will be doing first thing in the a.m. Thanks adder, I guess this is what happens when you have no starting point to begin with.

AdderMk2 03-31-2007 12:34 AM

dont sweat it... I did the same thing when I first timed a 5.0....

than I checked it vs MY car which was still running stock timing. I felt so dumb!

tmajikman 03-31-2007 12:36 AM

Yeah, I feel like an idiot right now. I guess if you don't ask you could be an even a bigger idiot and f something up.

AdderMk2 03-31-2007 12:37 AM

exactly....

If you think your question is dumb.... chances are some other idiot has made the same mistake...

case in point!

tmajikman 03-31-2007 12:46 AM

so what will the denotation sound like, I know my shifter make noise in the upper rpms but I am really not sure what I need to listen for. btw, I don't always abuse my car, I am trying to get it running the best I can and that is why I run it around 4 k sometimes. Last time I said that people started telling me how to drive.

thunderjet429 03-31-2007 01:15 AM

detonation at high rpm is sometimes silent:eek:.. when you get there you will hear what sounds like valve rattle backoff about 2 degrees and try it again. then when you dont hear the rattle get the engine warm shot it down and try to restart if it is still to much it will turn over hard;)

tmajikman 03-31-2007 01:17 AM

ORIGINAL: thunderjet429

detonation at high rpm is sometimes silent:eek:.. when you get there you will hear what sounds like valve rattle backoff about 2 degrees and try it again. then when you dont hear the rattle get the engine warm shot it down and try to restart if it is still to much it will turn over hard;)
thanks thunderjet

PRO50SC 03-31-2007 01:19 AM

It sounds like marbles in a tin can