5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need performance help with an 89 injected 302

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Reed

Default Need performance help with an 89 injected 302

Hi. I don't own a mustang, butI need some help with a 1989 Ford van I just bought. I figured you folks would be the most knowledgable.

The vanhas a fuel injected 302 and overdrive automatic transmission.

The van acts like it has a vacuum leak (stalling at idle, pinging on acceleration sometimes) and has overall poor performace.I know that a van is much heavier than a mustangand a 302 is a small motor, but this motor has obvious issues.

Are there any quick and easier mods I can do to increase performance? Does anyone make a performance chip or computer for an 89 E-150? How hard is it to swap to carburetion? I am not looking to build a racing motor, I just want decent performance and good gas mileage with the least amount of modifications necessary.

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:09 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Need performance help with an 89 injected 302

CAI? Exhaust, headers? Don't go with a chip because then you need premo gas
Old 04-01-2007, 11:41 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

first thing would be dual exhaust and even with quiet mufflers you'll gain some HP. also, a B303 or similar cam would be good, not too big for stock parts, but will wake things up quite a bit. you can fab up something for a cold air intake, or at least use a k&n air filter. lastly - and i know it sounds stupid, but rumor has it if you swap over your oil, tranny fluid, and rear end lube to synthetic you'll gain at least 5 more HP and its better for your stuff anyways
Old 04-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Reed

Thanks for the replies!

What is CAI? The van has EEC IV ignition and EFI, it is not a high altitude package or a california emissions package.

Exhaust is still stock, but that will be upgraded in the future. I think I will avoid headers becauseI don't like leaks or having to replace them every few years due to rust out.

So it sounds like a chip is out (which is fine since I haven't been able to find any). I believe the synthetic rumor. I have used synthetic oil before and it did result in better MPG and smoother running.

Any other ideas that don't involve major disassembly (vans aren't as easy to work on as Mustangs)?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:16 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

CAI = Cold Air Intake.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

CAI = cold air intake (like what is found on the riced out faggy honda civics[8D])

actually, ceramic coated headers would last a lifetime and with quality gaskets leaks are basically a thing of the past - but ceramic coated headers will usually double or even triple the price of them.

tell ya what, im thinking any chip manufacturer could probably flash you a chip for the van though.... seriously i'd make a phone call or two. i know plenty about working on the vans, when i gre up we had a beautiful E-150 conversion with a transplanted 302 that had a mild cam, holley 4 bbl and hooker headers w/ glasspacks . it was ungodly loud and pretty damn fast for a flying brick.

i currently have a 89 E-150 with a fuel injected 300 6 cyl. the van has 565,000 miles on it - 365 from the first motor and 200 from this one. still starts and runs every time. did i mention it has 4.11's, coild over shocks, and a 5 speed MANUAL transmission (stock too, its the only one i have ever seen in my life, which is why i cant bear to junk its rotted rusted ***)
Old 04-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Reed

OH! Duh.

Well, the fuel injection intake is pretty much a cold air intake system as well.

My other vehicle is an 84 E-150. It has a mildly warmed up 351 HO with the equivalent of the Edelbrock power package. That beast hauls ***.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:35 AM
iceman89gt
4th Gear Member

you will have to have a chip custom made for the computer. my 89 gt has the same computer and i had sct burn my chip according to tuning info from my dyno when the motor was new. jerry robleski with sct burned mine and it just piggy backs on the computer. as far as carburation an inline fuel pump and new lines run for the carb. plus intake for the carb and breather should do you. i dont think i left anything out.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

he's not carb'd though... not on the 89 anyways
Old 04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Reed

Thanks guys! I think that I will hold off on swapping to a carb for now and focus on just getting the van running well with FI.

Sounds like I will be doing some exhaust upgrades though.

Quick Reply: Need performance help with an 89 injected 302