5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Leave it Auto
41.67%
Change it to manual
58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic or Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 07:35 PM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic or Manual

Everytime?...he said a "moded" AOD can eat them sticks. And also when "racing" he said. A moded auto with a decent shift kit and a stall can ( very possibly) eat a stick in a race cuz the auto will get higher rpms quicker dispensing more horses, hence getting to the line be4 ( said) stick. Also why are Jetta in this conversation... Pick ur statements carefully stick master.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:00 PM
import slayer
3rd Gear Member

Autos require my hp to turn than a stick. For racing...there is no hand quicker than an automatic. The aod requires stall converter,shift kit and at least 4:10 gears to wake it up.
You can still have "complete control" with an auto if you install a manual valve body shift kit.
Bottom line is this: If you want the "fun factor" than go with a stick. If you want consistant E.T's than go auto. IMO, the aod's suck and I would rather have a c-4 if I went with an automatic.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

what is nice a out a AOD is it can be modify to run in 4th if needed. AOD and C4 have almost identical gearing to them just the AOD came with soem weak parts from the factory. just like any other tranny on the market
ORIGINAL: import slayer

Autos require my hp to turn than a stick. For racing...there is no hand quicker than an automatic. The aod requires stall converter,shift kit and at least 4:10 gears to wake it up.
You can still have "complete control" with an auto if you install a manual valve body shift kit.
Bottom line is this: If you want the "fun factor" than go with a stick. If you want consistant E.T's than go auto. IMO, the aod's suck and I would rather have a c-4 if I went with an automatic.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

would you like to prove your statement? ill get a stock AOD with stock 327 gears and run your 273 t5 car. i bet i get the AOD car to launch better and pull better. i have already done this and beat a T5 car. its not hard to race a AOD and make it perform stock but ppl just dont think they can move. when manually shifted and TV pressure adjusted there really isnt a problem. im even speaking about a stock converter
ORIGINAL: 87mustang347

WRONG!!!! manuels are way faster then autos. i dont no where u got that from. ive driven in stock auto mustangs and stock 5spd mustangs, stock auto jettas and stock 5spd jettasand a lot more other cars . the 5spd wins every time. unless ur the ultimate driver like u think u are and u can juss out drive every single person out there, 5spds are always faster
Old 11-20-2004, 11:21 PM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

totally agree!.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:41 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

what do you mean it can be modified to run in 4th??? thanks
ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

what is nice a out a AOD is it can be modify to run in 4th if needed. AOD and C4 have almost identical gearing to them just the AOD came with soem weak parts from the factory. just like any other tranny on the market

Old 11-21-2004, 04:09 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

well my AOD's OD is now 4th gear. like under full throttle it will upshift into it about 105 mph and i can run this gear all the way up to 140 but to run that type of speed and RPMs you need a strong OD servo. A C servo will not hold up. it caused to much slipage for the one tranny i had
ORIGINAL: bobby

what do you mean it can be modified to run in 4th??? thanks
ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

Old 11-21-2004, 04:39 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

hmmm. what is the sevo? you know im only 15
Old 11-21-2004, 06:39 PM
mstng675l
2nd Gear Member

well what it comes down to is if you want to break the bank with an auto to run manual car times go for it but if you want to put in a t-5 and beat the crap out of the auto go ahead it just depends do you know how to drive or do you want to just step on the throttle and spend a hell of a lot of money on the auto
Old 11-21-2004, 06:51 PM
Predator
2nd Gear Member

I'd go manual, it just gives you that much more control over the car.

Quick Reply: Automatic or Manual