5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

boost on a stock, high mile 5.0

Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: boost on a stock, high mile 5.0

read about a guy this something like 16# of boost on a BONe stock motor and he was only getting like 12# of air threw the stock intake and heads...... so i would say if your staying stock then stick with no more then 10-12psi anything more would just be a waste.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

ORIGINAL: HC_CrAzYHoRsE
i'm confused, you're talking about a stock-as-a-rock-302?
I'm actually asking about a stock as a rock 302. I wonder what they'll stand up to. Some guy on another forum ran 16#'s of boost, kicked a couple of headgasketsout, fire trenched the block and partiallyblamed the tuner. I can see that. I was just asking if he was out of his gourd to begin with running that much boost on a stock bottom end, 120K mile 302.

or asking about your car? you put down a tad over 300rwhp with your H/C/I if i remember correctly? so it's already running over 50% more power to the wheels than a bone stock 302.
I'm actually asking aboot my car as a corollary to the other. If the answer to the stock question is "Why yes, groundpounder, they can stand up to 16#'s of pressure with proper air/fuel and spark managment,"
I don't understand why I'm being told to cut if off at 12#'s by the builder and the tuner if I ever decided to do that. My car sans forgery is loaded for bear, baby! If Pro's running 12, I feel I could run 14-16, eh?

It's moot, because I'm trying to sell the car. But let's say I for some strange reason can't sell the Horse for what I need. I'm not going to give it away because of all the money/parts and work I, Acer, Spec, et al have put in it. The new Mach is nice and all, but I'm in a MUCH better way money-wise there, and selling it and keeping the Horse ain't the worst thing I can think of. I might could move the Mach pretty easily and might even trip up and make some money on it since I bought it so cheap. If I did happen to make a little scratch and made enough of it, odds are the Horse would see boost. Just thinking ahead by asking the second set of questions..

Most of this relates to what a stock 302 could handle, which I do not have... [8D]
Old 04-04-2007, 01:37 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

The stock intake/heads combo can only flow so much air. My car for instance. I have a 14# pulley on it but b/c of the restricted heads, I only see 12psi. Now, you can put a smaller pulley on and see boost quicker, (which is what I did) but it will only flow so much. Just b/c you wanna run 16#'s of boost, doesn't mean the motor is capable of it!!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Pro, I don't necessarily WANT to run 16#'s of boost.
Hell, I WANT to sell the car so I can mod the **** outta the Mach and get it to the low 12's high11's. But I digress...

I still don't have an answer to these questions, I don't think:
How much boost can a stock 5.0 stand up to?

If a guy was running 16#'s of boost on a stock 5.0, first off, how'd he get away with it or did he since he kicked some headgaskets, secondly, if he did get away with it why couldn't I with my B&P'd, reconditioned, ARP stud and bolt havin bottom end, andset-up-for-boost/spray piston-to-wall clearance?[&:]
Old 04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

theres no way to tell. im sure pro50sc has changed his head gaskets. theres just no saying. you could blow your motor or gaskets with 6psi. its different for everymotor. but as pro50sc said he is running 16# of boost and only seeing 12. so regardless your heads and intake and...... can only alow 12# of boost to go threw
Old 04-12-2007, 02:41 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

im thinking about running a novi 6 psi on my stock 5.0 with over 160,000 miles

if it blows up.. ill let ya know
Old 04-12-2007, 02:43 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

i was running 6psi on my motor and it took it just fine. just sayin all motors are different
Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

if your just asking what a reliable amount of boost you can run is then the answer is still kinda hazy. the block can still only hold about 500ish hp.so whether you make that with 8lbs or 14lbs you cant really go much higher than what the block can hold for to long. like its been said, pro is runnin a 14lb pulley and only seeing 12 lbs of boost on a basically "stone-as-a-rock" 302 just because the rest of the engine components cant flow that well. im sure if you can run 12-14 lbs and be OK but you also have to remember that it takes power to make power with a supercharger. your car could make 400 to the wheels and have more strain on it then a car with almost 500 to the wheels and thats where reliable and dependable comes in. example: a car makes the said 400rwhp take the drivetrain loss and add that in there and then you also have to think how hard the engine is workin to turn the blower to make that kinda boost. but to give you a number, 12-14 would b the max (this is my opinion) on a bone stock 5.0 that has been refreshed as yours and dont plan on adding to many more go fast parts. after that poin you will prolly in the "red zone" for the stock block
Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

That is some solid reasoning, gentlemen. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I still don't have an answer to these questions, I don't think:
How much boost can a stock 5.0 stand up to?

If a guy was running 16#'s of boost on a stock 5.0, first off, how'd he get away with it or did he since he kicked some headgaskets, secondly, if he did get away with it why couldn't I with my B&P'd, reconditioned, ARP stud and bolt havin bottom end, andset-up-for-boost/spray piston-to-wall clearance?[&:]
I seriously doubt someone is getting 16#'s through the stock motor. I would have to see proof of that. As I stated, w/ a 14# pulley, I only see 12 b/c the stock motor will only allow so much flow. I knew this before putting the pulley on. My reasoning for this was to see boost sooner w/ the smaller pulley. GP, that's the best I can offer

ORIGINAL: cassidymustang

theres no way to tell. im sure pro50sc has changed his head gaskets. theres just no saying. you could blow your motor or gaskets with 6psi. its different for everymotor. but as pro50sc said he is running 16# of boost and only seeing 12. so regardless your heads and intake and...... can only alow 12# of boost to go threw
LOL never said anything about 16 psi!! Read above. And I'm still on the factory head gaskets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: boost on a stock, high mile 5.0