5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.
View Poll Results: A poll
GT40 intake
23.08%
Trickflow Street intake
76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

ok...need your help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 12:01 AM
slo93aod
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ok...need your help

Yeah a supercharged or nitrous car wouldnt have to spin more then 5500 rpm to make 425hp, but I've never seen a performance engine that didnt spin more than 5500... odds are its going over 5500, unless you put a strange cam in it
Old 11-21-2004, 12:27 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

just gonna be a mild street cam from either Crane, Comp or TFS. with 1.72 rockers. nothing major
Old 11-21-2004, 03:28 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

hopw bout the new BBK intake !?!??!?!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:37 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

just bear in mind that the best flowing piece doesn't necessarily make the most HP when all is said and done. and if you're going as far as changing the pistons, I would look at the AFR 185 street heads with the larger 2.02" intake valves which you could use with the proper valve reliefs cut into the pistons. and to keep on street gas, you might want to keep the compression below 10:1 also. Keep getting thoughts and ideas from others out here and talk to an experienced 5.0 engine builder before you make your final choices on heads, cam, intake etc. and you will be happier in the long run.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:02 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

very true Roundy. ive been talkin to my friends, and those are the 2 main choices ive gotten.

the BBK intake isnt bad, and its not a bad deal for $600 w/ built in egr spacer, and comes w/ fuel rails. but, im gonna stick to what works FOR SURE !!!!

plus there arent that many 5.0 "builders" around here. i guess i could call a couple shops that ive heard about. ones in Crofton, MD. they built my friends 347 for him. ill figure something out. and i thought the 185's but, i thought that might be too much(and not price, cuz, theres no such thing as too much in my book when youre building a performance engine)...how, idk, but, thats what i thought. lol
Old 11-21-2004, 09:04 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

don't forget the Ford racing parts tech line as a source of knowledge about what works good together! number is at top of this section. you could also talk to the tech guys at www.dssracing.com or www.coasthigh.com as they build beaucoup Ford small block engines for their many customers. hell, you might even find it cost effective to go with one of their short or long blocks instead of doing it yourself being as you seem to live out in the boonies of Virginia! LOL at least around Richmond I've got a few knowledgeable engine shops to choose from! and a new speed shop, Paradise Road Speed and Custom, finally opened just south of town to give the other shops some more competition too. haven't been there yet, but plan to drop in soon and check them out.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:09 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

iv already talked to both dss and chp. and both of 'em were sh*tty imo. i didnt like either of 'em altho chp was better. i never thought about calling the Tech Line(and i still have the number believe it or not...programmed into my cell phone ). ill figure something out. and i dont wanna buy a shortblock......doesnt leave anything fun for me to do except drop it in............whats the fun of that ???
Old 11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
HAUS
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Grn N Gry 5OH

iv already talked to both dss and chp. and both of 'em were sh*tty imo. i didnt like either of 'em altho chp was better. i never thought about calling the Tech Line(and i still have the number believe it or not...programmed into my cell phone ). ill figure something out. and i dont wanna buy a shortblock......doesnt leave anything fun for me to do except drop it in............whats the fun of that ???
im guessing you mean long block. long block is when you just drop it in. what about the holley system max 2. gives you heads, intake, cam and other things to make your 5.0 to have 350 hp and then you can put a super charger on it.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:39 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i bought a d.s.s short block,and they were pretty good with me,but that's my opinion....
go with what feels right to you,about your intake.........trickflow.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:41 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

shortblock/longblock......neither of 'em let me have any fun. lol and the Systemax and TFS both "offer" 350hp.....so, idk what ill do. but, im saving for both school and car parts, but, car parts are winning.

damn grabbem. youve got close to the EXACT setup i want....a few things diff, but, not much.....now. that 310hp.........whp ?? or flywheel ???

Quick Reply: ok...need your help