5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I have fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

Default I have fixed

My RPM hang issue. I made a air bypass for my car and now everything is fine. Gee am I happy to get that fixed. Thanks for everyones help. If you wanna know how to do it just pm me.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I have fixed

You should already have an IAC. What do you mean by you made an air by-pass?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

Thats what I made. I didn't want to buy one
Old 04-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Goosepoop302
4th Gear Member

can you please explain what exactly you did though? i have an issue where when i push in the clutch orjsut let of the gas my rpms will not fall for a while. makes shifting hard and idles super high. i thought maybe a reset of the comp would help but i dunno
Old 04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goosepoop302

can you please explain what exactly you did though? i have an issue where when i push in the clutch orjsut let of the gas my rpms will not fall for a while. makes shifting hard and idles super high. i thought maybe a reset of the comp would help but i dunno
That was my exact problem. That is why I made this plate. What I did was I went to the ford dealer and got a gasket for the IAC. I had some sheet metal at home 0.027" thick and I traced the gasket onto the metal. After that I cut it out with tin snips and filed down the edges and that. Then I drilled one of the holes 5/8 (big bit) and the other one smaller. I tried 3/16 for the small hole and noticed on cold starts it wouldn't hold as well so I went up a touch and it was fine. I installed it and all is good. It is an excellent mod and its cheap
Old 04-03-2007, 11:08 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

DIRECTIONS:
This is for anyone that doesn't like when the RPM's that are slow to drop or even rise slightly when you push the clutch in to shift. Another symptom, is that when cruising in a higher gear and you let your foot off the gas, the car almost cruises on its own for a bit.

First, understand the problem. The engine is receiving too much air through the IAC valve. From my knowledge Ford did this for emissions reasons.

As a side effect of this fix, when you downshift, the car burbles a lot more, sounds like a carberated engine. You get a little more engine braking effect.

The FIX:
Most older mustangs have an external IAC valve. Meaning that it is easy to find, follow a small air hose (1/2" ID) to a silver cylinder thing on your intake (the IAC solenoid). Once you found it, the older fix was to buy a 1/2" copper pipe cap, drill out a small hole, insert this into the line the restrict air flow through the IAC, and your done.
The Mach has a slightly different setup.
We have an INTERNAL IAC air supply. Meaning that there is no hose leading to it.

To find your IAC valve, first remove your entire shaker assembly from your car.

Next, look between your intake and the firewall, there should be a silver cylinder shaped object with 2 bolts leading to your intake.

Remove the two bolts and move this assembly.

You should see the following, the IAC assembly has two "ports" with the solenoid controlling the air flow between these two ports, what we want to accomplish is to restrict the airflow leading through this.

To do this, there should be a small gasket on your intake, or it could be stuck to the IAC valve.

Remove this (carefully)

Trace out the shape of this gasket as well as the holes for mounting bolts, and the two air holes, onto a piece of 1/32" aluminum or something similar.

Cut out the outline of this "restrictor plate" from the aluminum.

Cut out the holes for your bolts to go through.

Cut out a single one of the Air holes.
Now the tricky part. You have to decide how big to make the other hole because this determines the amount of air you are restricting.

The smallest you should go would be around 5/32", the worst case if you go to small is your car will stall when fix is complete, if this happens just take the plate out, make the hole bigger, and check that.
The hole I used is around 9/32" which is about the medium you would want to go.

After your "restrictor plate" is cut out, mount it with the small hole on the passenger side of the IAC, and make sure to replace the gasket against the intake.
Start your car, you should notice the RPMs drop when you start back to normal very quickly.
If it idles smoothly, try putting turning on the AC, this will load the engine down.
If your car stalls out, remove the plate, make the hole bigger, try again.
If still idling smoothly, bolt your shaker back on, take it for a spin. You might need to adjust your driving/clutching style after being used to the crappy RPM hang, so don't be discouraged.
Also, you might want to disconnect your battery during the procedure to make your computer relearn it tweaks after you finish.

If, after you start the car you notice a "whistling" sound, then take a look at your plate, make sure the BIG hole is at least as big as the hole on the IAC valve. Also make sure edges of holes are rounded (sharp edges are bad), and the holes are round. This happened on mine, and I fixed it.

This subject has been talked about on Stangnet and a search will give you more opinions. I love it!!!!!!!!

The IAC Restrictor is a simple, but exceptionally effective device for Ford 4.6 & 5.0 performance vehicles with 5 & 6 speed transmissions that notoriously suffer high idle and hanging RPM when shifting gears, especially when modifications have been made. Also works for Automatics, when slowing down, driving in heavy traffic, winter roard conditions, etc.

Two different size restriction holes are featured, this gives you the opportunity to select the best applicable selection for your engine. Some 5.0 & 4.6 4V Cobra applications may ocassionally require very slight enlargement of one of the Restrictors holes. This is very easily accomplished with a round rat tail file and only takes a few moments.

The Restrictor immediately drops the RPM when shifting and fits between the Idle Air Control (IAC) unit and the plenum/manifold, and only take minutes to install. Once installed, it severly restricts the amount of air the IAC normally provides when deceleration occurs, thus immediately dropping the RPM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

oh yea there was someone on here that did this also for there 4.6 but I didn't like how they did it and I STRONGLY recommend you don't do it there way. They just got gasket material and cut it out but the problem is that there is nothing supporting the gasket and overtime that will break apart and it will just go into your intake which is bad. That is why I made a plate to support the stock gasket. Like the picute above
Old 04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

Ok these aren't my pictures but you get the point on how to do it.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

Mods I will make a tutorial of this if you are willing to sticky it