5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Suspension ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default Suspension ideas

So i need to start buyin parts for my suspension. All i have as of now is front and rear springs. What should i start out with, rear upper and lower controll arms ? Summit has some for a decent price for the summit brand, i also see bbk has some for a decent price too. whats some good names to look for in controll arms ? I'm also gona do subframes, does company from company really matter for these ? If so, whats some good ones to look at. I'm just tryin to preplan here so i dont have to figure out everything when the time to buy comes. Thanks fellas.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension ideas

It really depends on what your budget is like. I could rattle off 5K worth of suspension right now if that was your budget LoL

Basics are:
Struts/Shocks
Front/Rear Springs
Upper/Lower Control Arms
Subframe Connectors
CC Plates

Or you can go all out and go with a three link or something with a tubular front suspension (k member, a arms, coilover kit, etc.)
Old 04-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Ima hold off on a K member for a while now, prolly atleast till next winter. I'm lookin to get some decent stuff, dont wanna spend a fortune, but definatly want the power to stick. So i'll start out with shocks/struts, upper/lower controll arms, and subframes. Should get me a rpetty good start. And i already got the springs. So pretty much lookin spend a good amount, but nothing outa controll.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

bump

Anyone got suggestions for brands of controll arms and shocks/struts ?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:09 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

For the shocks/struts... do you want something adjustable?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:14 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Don't go with anything else besides strange 10 ways for shocks and struts. Are you wanting this to be a drag suspension or road race type? Also get the maximum motorsports XL full length subframes, the fit is phenominal. I'm using a set of non-adjustable upper and lower control arms from Summit Racing, they work great.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Uppers and lowers to start with are by far one of the best suspension mods you can do right off the bat, you will notice a difference immediatley. Just make sure what you begin with you can build off of. There is no sense buying twice. Personally I am fond of and currently use UPR components and they are great. Love that Chromoly!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

For the shocks/struts... do you want something adjustable?
I'd like it more to dig to drag, but i want something thats gonna be decent on the road to, so adjustable will prolly be my best bet. I've heard really good things about the strange 10 ways.......But my main concern is having it hook up good for drag.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

Strange 10 ways will offer you all of the hook-up you would need to support quite a bit of powah.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMan@TheWheel

Uppers and lowers to start with are by far one of the best suspension mods you can do right off the bat, you will notice a difference immediatley. Just make sure what you begin with you can build off of. There is no sense buying twice. Personally I am fond of and currently use UPR components and they are great. Love that Chromoly!
That was gonna be the first thing i bought. The summit was caught my eye because they are pretty cheap. So they work really good for ya 92 ?

Quick Reply: Suspension ideas