5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

efi or carb for a stroker

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:35 AM
flamin87
2nd Gear Member

Default efi or carb for a stroker

need help for which would be cheaper or more reliable
Old 11-21-2004, 02:38 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: efi or carb for a stroker

I'd personally go with whatever came stock. A carb would be cheaper / easier and way cheaper in the longrun - but you can't beat the drivability and the few extra hp of a well tuned efi setup.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:52 AM
flamin87
2nd Gear Member

i want to build a motor 4 my 87 gt, I personally want a 392 stroker but some people have told me that its a hassle to fine tune a efi setup
Old 11-21-2004, 03:21 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

EFI is the way to go, carbs suck and you have alot more to change out then you think.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:22 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

You can slap a carb on there and tune iit and me done.... but personally i LOVE EFI! you geyt more power, driveability and MPG. you can get chips burned for them. you can get a PMS and tune 1000 mopre things that u can with a carb, without even popping the hood.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:03 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you need a manifold, a carb, different fuel pump, different dist, different ignition just afew of things needed
ORIGINAL: bobby

You can slap a carb on there and tune iit and me done.... but personally i LOVE EFI! you geyt more power, driveability and MPG. you can get chips burned for them. you can get a PMS and tune 1000 mopre things that u can with a carb, without even popping the hood.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:43 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

yes, what i ment was the efi system has a lot more involved
Old 11-21-2004, 11:18 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

but cost wise its alot cheaper to purchase the odds and ends for a carb setup vs larger sized throttle body, aftermarket upper / lower intakes anyways, injectors, mass air meter, bigger fuel pump anyways, chip for ecu

Not only that if you upgrade power at a later date you'd likely have to go purchase, again, a larger throttle body, biger fuel pump, larger injectors, another mass air meter...

for a carb, simple new jets or a larger unit and your done.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:10 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

the costs depends upon what you have to start with and what your final goal is. if you already have EFI, than why change to a carb and give up the reliablity and tunability of EFI for the age old problems associated with a carburetor such as chokes, floats, power valves, etc. to me the advantages of EFI in everyday driving far outweighs the lower initial costs of going with a carb. I would consider going with a carb only if the engine was for flat out racing and nothing else and even then I would be hard pressed to not go with EFI.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:44 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

ive recently dida efi to carb 408 stroker setup, to begain it sound easy, fast and cheap not exactly true. no matter what you choose if you want good equipment is going to cost. my carb setup from fuel cell to intake manifold including Dis.,ignition, throttle cable was a litttle over 2500.00. im looking for 800hp, not a street car. to run 800hp with EFI would have been close to the same for equip. and another 1000.00 for computer programmer. If you only looking for a HP number that can be handled by a mass produce efi intake i.e. track heat, vic. jr. and so on, i would go EFI and like MD said if you want more hp at a later date youll have to do it all over again.

GOOD LUCK.

Quick Reply: efi or carb for a stroker