5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Clutch/Driveshaft/Flywheel Q.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:01 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Default Clutch/Driveshaft/Flywheel Q.

OK, I've already started buying parts for my new TKO 600 tranny I've decided to get, now I'm stuck on a few things. I've contacted Spec and they do make 26 spline clutches for the TKO, and they offer 3 I'm interested in.

Stage 2 - rated to 520 torque
Stage 2+ - keeps stage 2 feel and driveability, but has a higher 620 lb rating, but at a cost of $391
Stage 3 - rated to 660, but losses some everyday drive feel and wear (or so they say)

I've been leaning more towards the stage 2 because it will be a long time before I go past, if I go past 520 torque, but the hold and capabilities of the 2+ have me thinking,

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Next Q.

OK, I know you guys probably get this all the time, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of lightweight aluminum flywheels and or billit flywheels. Also, how do you know what your engine is balanced at, because they have 50 oz balanced, 28 oz balaced, internall balanced, and external balanced? I know I can have my stock flywheel resurfaced again, but what do you guys think?

Next Q. Spec also offers a lightweight clutch option, to do roughly the same the lightweight flywheel does, but yet again, advantages and disadvatages?

Last Q. Aluminum driveshafts, I know roughly how they work, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of them?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:12 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch/Driveshaft/Flywheel Q.

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

OK, I've already started buying parts for my new TKO 600 tranny I've decided to get, now I'm stuck on a few things. I've contacted Spec and they do make 26 spline clutches for the TKO, and they offer 3 I'm interested in.

Stage 2+ - keeps stage 2 feel and driveability, but has a higher 620 lb rating, but at a cost of $391
Stage 3 - rated to 660, but losses some everyday drive feel and wear (or so they say)

I've been leaning more towards the stage 2 because it will be a long time before I go past, if I go past 520 torque, but the hold and capabilities of the 2+ have me thinking,

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Next Q.

OK, I know you guys probably get this all the time, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of lightweight aluminum flywheels and or billit flywheels. Also, how do you know what your engine is balanced at, because they have 50 oz balanced, 28 oz balaced, internall balanced, and external balanced? I know I can have my stock flywheel resurfaced again, but what do you guys think?

Next Q. Spec also offers a lightweight clutch option, to do roughly the same the lightweight flywheel does, but yet again, advantages and disadvatages?

Last Q. Aluminum driveshafts, I know roughly how they work, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of them?
Okay, a light weight anything in the drive line takes less power to spin it up and is usally a good upgrade for a light weight car like a mustang. I have a aluminum drive shaft and a lightened flywheel. BTW, you have a 50oz external imbalance.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:25 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Nice, but I've "HEARD" and you know how that goes, that aluminunm flywheels wear down faster than stock flywheels, and can cause idel RPMs to drop, and causes the car to be harder to drive during normal driving. Is this true?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:29 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

sure, aluminum will wear faster than steel.. thats why alumunum flywheels, like the fidanza, have steel friction surfaces.. which are also replaceable... so instead of having it machined, you buy a new $60 friction plate
Old 04-10-2007, 03:35 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

OK, now what about driveshafts and the light weight clutch? Or do they even make driveshafts for 94-95, all I've seen is 79-93.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

actually... 79-95 are all the same

as for the light weight clutch... I wouldnt bother. Its more money and not alot of benefit... you also do not know if it will perform as well as a standard weight clutch
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

OK, so what would the benifits/disadvantages of an aluminum driveshaft?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Are you going to have that much power? Just b/c the tranny is rated at that doesn't mean you have to buy a matching clutch set. Get a set that works for your power levels or a little above, and save some $. If you have that much power, then you are obviously on the right track....

Next Q.

Next Q. Spec also offers a lightweight clutch option, to do roughly the same the lightweight flywheel does, but yet again, advantages and disadvatages? Like Adder said, probably not worth the cost unless it is a dedicated road racing or auto X car.

Last Q. Aluminum driveshafts, I know roughly how they work, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of them? My FRPP A1 driveshaft weighs about 1/2 what the original did and is stronger. Lighter rotating mass=more efficiency from the motor/drivetrain.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Thanks that will work. Problem is, I can make as much power as I really like, with the next mods in line, and the mods laying in my room waiting for the clutch, but I'm just kind of limited by, well, you know, my 5.0 block. In short, I'm gonna more than likely get the stage 2.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:06 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

W/ a safe tune, a stock block can take 450-500 rwhp on a daily driver. Several guys here in Dallas are running around that.