5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

**Edit: Pic on page 3** Stolen Mustang (no, it's not mine)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:37 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default **Edit: Pic on page 3** Stolen Mustang (no, it's not mine)

So I'm in the middle of investigating what I consider the worst crime known to man. Someone stole a Mustang and crashed it. To make a long story short, this guys 1989 GT 5.0 Convertible was stolen over the weekend and the police in the next town over found it wrecked. Body is F'ed up bigtime but the engine looks good.

So I went to process the scene (fingerprints, DNA, etc) and of course, I had to pop the hood to see what he had underneath. As I said, the engine looked undamaged. Here's what I noticed for mods:

TrickFlow intake (appeared to be Street), 24# injectors, aftermarket unequal length shorty headers, CAI, new water pump, new alternator, larger TB (unsure of exact size.) The heads were iron and appeared to be stock. Didn't nitoce anything else that jumped out at me, but it was clean and appeared to be decent. Anyway, I process the car and then left to contact the owner.

So I'm talking to the owner and telling him that the engine appears to be in good shape, but the body isn't looking too hot. Of course, he proceeds to tell me that he only cares about the engine, saying that he has over $10,000 in the engine. So of course, I ask what he has. he tells me that he has a trickflow intake. So of course I had to ask. "is it a street heat?" and he says no, its a trickflow. [&:]

How stupid of me. he just told me it was a trickflow and then I ask something stupid. Guess I wasnt listening to him.

He then goes on about what else he has done. tells me about everything I listed above plus says he has a new cam in there. So being a Mustang guy, I say "wow, that must run nice." And his reply... "Yeah, that baby is 600 HP." [&:]

"really?" (I had to play along)

"yeah, 600 HP so whoever it was got one hell of a ride!"

And the rest of the conversation was related to the case so it wont be posted here, lol. Of course, I was not going to call the guy out. After all, I'm just some dumb cop / detective anyway. WTF would I know about engines? especially something like a mustang engine?

So here's where I need help from you guys. What am I doing wrong? With a supercharger, chemical intercooling, and nitrous oxide I only have 430 RWHP. What else do I need to add to keep up with this guy? Is it the Trickflow intake or is it the CAI? Is something wrong with my tune?

I wish I were making this up
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
johnjr45
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Stolen Mustang (no, it's not mine)

haha that is funny 600 horsepower, u shoulda drove to his house and shot that dumbass for his stupidity...
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

Damn I must have like 900hp. So did he have stickers to back up all that power?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:45 PM
johnjr45
3rd Gear Member

he musta had nawwwwwwwwwwwwwzzzzzzzz hidden somewhere he didnt tell you about..
Old 04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

it had to have been the CAI thats where its at now a days superchargers and nitrous pffffftttt waste of money.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:49 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

i guess there is no LMFAO smiley, but if there was one, it would be embedded in my post!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 PM
PX429
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nmerrill

i guess there is no LMFAO smiley, but if there was one, it would be embedded in my post!
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]<---------About as close as it get's
Old 04-10-2007, 04:54 PM
StangKid5.0
2nd Gear Member

LOL 600 HP Wowwww some people are amazing
Old 04-10-2007, 04:55 PM
stangman94
4th Gear Member

Maybe it was stroked it did have 24lb injectors?
Not saying it was making 600 hp yet alone 400 but why would you have bigger injectors wouldn't that require a tune?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:05 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Nah, you don't necessarily have to do too much to swap to 24# injectors. It's a fairly simple swap as far as injectors / MAF goes (that's what the Cobras use.)

I wasn't sure if the guy was full of ****, or if he was just really clueless. A few things made me think that...not just the 600 HP thing. For example, the Street Heat comment I made. Apparently, even though he has the stret heat EFI intake on his car, he only knows it as "trickflow" and thought "street heat" was a different brand alltogether. That's pretty basic info really.

He could have grabbed the bigger injectors when he upgraded the intake, tb, and MAF. I'm not even sure if he did the work or if he had someone do it for him.

But like I said, I havent called him out yet. I'll just continue to play stupid and see where this takes me, lol. I'm certain that he has no clue how much I know about 5.0s in general. I'll feel bad if he is clueless and I shatter his image of the car though.

Quick Reply: **Edit: Pic on page 3** Stolen Mustang (no, it's not mine)