5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Pro Comp Aluminum Head

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Pro Comp Aluminum Head

just got these myself, complete with upgraded springs for big lift cams
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Musta...spagenameZWD1V
Old 04-12-2007, 06:57 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I just got back from one of the local machine shops that does mostly high performance work for our area. He had nothing bad to say about Pro Comp heads. He even had a set of BBC Pro Comp Aluminum heads still in the box in his assembly room. They looked good to me. He did mention about having tofly-cut the pistons for clearance on the 2.02 valves and such.

He also told me some unruly things he has experianced with DARTheads. Wasn't very comforting. Probably 6 different stories all involving DART heads. All involving the way they had machined the valve seats and the valve guides being misalligned. He said that DART wouldn't talk to him about it, that he had to talk to the distributor he got them from. He then said his distributor told him "to just send them back and he would throw them in the pile with the others and send him a new set."
Old 04-12-2007, 07:14 PM
hunter5.0
1st Gear Member

listen as long as you have your dowl pins in your block all you need to do is bolt them in and make sure you use gasket sealant on the bottom head bolts during installation if you are using stock pistons on a 87 or newer ho block and plan on any cam bigger than stock than you will have to flycut 50ths off your pistons because yhey are 2.02 valves and they will hit but over all they are a good head and i can attest i have them on a 306 and they flow awsome out of the box and you can buy them complete for 800 bucks with dual valve springs
Old 04-12-2007, 07:21 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hunter5.0

listen as long as you have your dowl pins in your block all you need to do is bolt them in and make sure you use gasket sealant on the bottom head bolts during installation if you are using stock pistons on a 87 or newer ho block and plan on any cam bigger than stock than you will have to flycut 50ths off your pistons because yhey are 2.02 valves and they will hit but over all they are a good head and i can attest i have them on a 306 and they flow awsome out of the box and you can buy them complete for 800 bucks with dual valve springs
which are you talking about the pro comps or RHS
Old 04-12-2007, 07:26 PM
hunter5.0
1st Gear Member

pro comps 351/302 head
Old 04-12-2007, 07:28 PM
cassidymustang
4th Gear Member

maybe i just got a bad set. its the luck of the draw i guess
Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

The guy at the machine shop in town told me to make sure I bought the ones with the dual springs. He also pointed out the deal about flycutting the pistons. I think he told me he could get it done for about $80. I am thinking of purchasing one of the budget stroker kits,331CID, from the mustang depot(ebay). You can get them for $589. For what I want to do, they will probably work fine. Beings as all I have heard was that I'd break the stock block before I'd break a cast steel crank running a stroker set up.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

ask full auto about thos pro comp headshe USEDto sell them.... he said they have very bad quality control issues buyer beware i would stay clear... if that guy sells procomp he isn't going to tell you they are junk now is he??? i have heard nothing but bad about them
Old 04-12-2007, 10:27 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

The guy I'm talking to has nothing to do with sellingthem or anything to do with Pro Comp. His shop is just where everyone from our area brings their hot rod parts for machine work. He told me he has seen quite a few different sets from sreet/strip cars to nasty super latemodel dirt track cars. And beleive me when I say I have no doubt about everyones replies about having trouble with them.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 PM
thunderjet429
2nd Gear Member

hmmmmm i know many people using pro1's and have not heard a problem yet??? mine are great!

Quick Reply: Pro Comp Aluminum Head