5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new motor mounts, hood wont clear

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 07:56 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

Default new motor mounts, hood wont clear

just put in my motor mounts.. the old ones look like they never been replaced because there was NO rubber in there at all, the engine was basicly siting in there with no mounts lol... but anyways, now that i got good mounts in there my hood wont shut, i cut out the brace on the center of the hood and it helped alot... but like the last quarter inch it just hits the intake.... is there anything i could do? maybe put some spacers somewere or something? the hood already has a dent in it, so im thinkin just pount a huge dent in it so it wont hit no more lol.... i was going to get a cowl hood sometime this month, but not sure i can coz i gotta buy alot of presents.... so im just looking for a temp fix so i can drive it around town, any ideas? sorry if this is a lame ?... just thought i'd see what you guys think
Old 11-27-2004, 08:07 PM
JustinBHR
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: new motor mounts, hood wont clear

did you get non convertable motor mounts?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:16 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

hmmm lol umm..... didnt think of that, these are what i got, they didnt really say vert or non vert.... but im guessing there non vert... dindnt think it would make a difference.... so im guessin a cowl hood is the only fix... guess i'll just drive around without a hood lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 11-27-2004, 08:17 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

you could space the hood up higher, but that would look fugged up and it might not latch properly. u sure all the bolts are tight??
Old 11-27-2004, 08:32 PM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

lol i think all the bolts are tight, wouldnt make a difference in clearing if they wernt[sm=smiley36.gif] i was thinkin maybe spacing the hood were the hinges are...
Old 11-27-2004, 11:13 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

I need new motor mounts but they dont look half the size as the ones in that picture. those things are like footballs lol. get the right motor mounts or temporarily tie that hood down good, dont mess with your hood hinges it wont latch and you will just have to readjust it later.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:13 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

are you running any spacer under the upper intake?? if so, I would say remove it and it will fit then. if not, then you need a new set of mounts that don't pick the engine up as high as those footballs do. LOL
the other more expensive option is a new K member with lowered mounting points which drop the engine down lower in the chassis.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:10 AM
90LX50
2nd Gear Member

He's got a 1" spacer on his intake Roundy. You may need to remove that spacer dude. I think that's where you clearance problem is coming from.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:18 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

vert mounts are shorter too I think
Old 11-28-2004, 03:24 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

well alright... guess im just going to take the hood off when i drive it lmao[sm=icon_rofl.gif], sounds dumb but i dont wanna take the spacer off coz id rather have that than a hood, or im just going to try putting a big enough dent in the hood for it to clear, i really dont care what it looks like obviously, it already has a dent in it lol.... but im still confused on why convertable motor mounts would be different when verts and non verts have same powertrain and body? ima get a cowl hood after christmas thats for sure, so its not a real big issue, just was hopin for a quick fix, but o well.... thanks alot guys

Quick Reply: new motor mounts, hood wont clear