5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

pulling the engine, cleanup..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 10:50 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

Default pulling the engine, cleanup..

im pulling the engine from my car next week, im going to clean up the engine bay and paint it..and i want to clean up all spots of my engine and paint the block.. what color should i paint it? my car is darkish red, also any info on the job at hand would be greatly appreciated this will be my first time doing something like this.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:51 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: pulling the engine, cleanup..

you should shave the wholes in the bay as well
Old 11-29-2004, 12:17 AM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

if u want to do a real good job painting it take ur time the first time u do it cause if u dont like the way it looks ur gonna have to pull the whole motor out again to fix ur mistakes. the only way to get a good reult is to rmove every single piece of anything thats in the engine bay, brake booster has to come put and every last wire that u see in there. when my friend did his i didnt see one thing in the engine bay at all except for the steering shaft and the sway bar, which he had painted to match the car n e way. did u plan on doin it this way or did u want to juss tape everything up and try to paint behind everything as best as possible cause thats the cheap way to do it. if u do it the rite way make sure u label everything or better yet, take it to a pro to have him do it cause those are a lot of wires ur not gonna want to mess up when reinstalling them. remember, its always easy taking something apart, what sepperates the boys from the men is putting it all back together
Old 11-29-2004, 01:29 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

yup, the good thing is.. (well at least for Fords) is that you cant mess up when pluggin stuff back in, all the connectors match up with only one other one thing so if you have everything connected then you good
Old 11-29-2004, 02:29 PM
87mustang347
3rd Gear Member

yah but bobby, the bad thing is is that ford likes to juss throw their wires where ever they want to instead of making it a clean look. have u looked at the harnesses on each of ur fire walls lately. imagine taking every single piece of that out. if ur not machanicly inclined, good luck putting it all back together, but yah i no what u meen with the engine harness, u can mess up once pluggin everything back in
Old 11-29-2004, 03:18 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

paint the engine block Ford blue! and everything under the hood you plan on painting has to be spotlessly clean of any grease, oil, etc. or the paint won't stick properly. you can use a steam cleaner or power washer first to get most of the grunge off but make sure you plug up any holes in the firewall so you don't get the interior wet. then use the right paint prep materials to remove all grease, oil, wax, etc. and use some sandpaper to rough up the existing surfaces to give the new primer and paint something to bond to.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:55 PM
fast83gt
3rd Gear Member

I'd say paint it black. Then you won't notice oil and grease as much, if you ever leak anything.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:05 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

do what they said but man your sig got to go. import eater, do you think you can eat every import out there? I know plenty of imports done up right and not rice running decent times. one for example runs high 12s on a N/A motor. respect ppls rides that run good and are built by them and not bought
Old 11-29-2004, 08:06 PM
619socalstang
3rd Gear Member

ide go 1601 ford blue on the block and primer grey or flat black on the engine compartment.

Make sure th eengine compartment is clean clean use a sand blaster and pressure washer or sand paper and hot soapy water wash it reaaly good. you should primer it twice and paint it 4 times if you plan to use a rattle can system.

Be sure to use high temp paint!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

no i dont beleive i can beat any import lol, but where i live the fastest import is 14s, its pretty sad lol. and i dont like imports, well some would be ok but just not the ricers. but all i get around here are ricers :P and its not goin anywheres

i thought of painting it ford blue, but would blue go good with the red car..? i wanted to go black but i dont think it will stand out enough. what all do i have to take off of the motor? im sure i can just tape some of it off but what has to go? and i dont have to sand the firewall and stuff good right? just the real rough spots and then spray my primer over it?

Quick Reply: pulling the engine, cleanup..