5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I always thought it was faster....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 01:47 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default I always thought it was faster....

I finally made it out to the track last night for the first time. Had a great time and learned I have a horrible reaction time.... I had to laugh at my first run just because I remember what was going through my head.

hey a yellow light,
hey a 2nd yellow light, he has 2 lights also.....

what is that light?
and that one[:-]?
and that one[:-]?
Where is he going[&:]? DAMNIT I know that the green light is[:@]GO GO GO GO(come back here)...........

I made 3 runs and it got better each time, my best time was 15.4 @ 90 but this car is stock from the air cleaner up. There is a mustang show here locally today with a dyno, I am going to make a run on it and then the motor games can begin now that I have my baseline runs. hopefully the cars times as well as mine will get better and at least I was not the new idiot at the track for the first time that turned around at the end of the track and was comming back down it.........

Been driving this car since it was new in 94 and for some reason I always thought it was faster, ignorance was bliss I guess...
Old 04-14-2007, 01:49 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I always thought it was faster....

It is faster. You just need to learn to drive it. Stick or auto?

Don't kick yourself too much. The first time I went to the track the best I did was a 15.7. I got some gears and drag radials and I'm down to a 14.56@94 and I've got a few tenths to go still. My friend did a 14.67 spinning off the line in his '95 with gears and drag radials.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:50 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

LoL, you'll get better with time.

A little hint: Don't wait for the green light to go. Go when you see the last yellow light up. Don't anticipate it, just go when you see it. By the time you react, step on the gas, the car reacts, and the wheels move forward, the light will be green just as you break the beam. After awhile you get used to it and it becomes muscle memory.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Not to bad. Just remember, on test and tune, the reaction time doesn't matter...you don't start getting timed till you leave the line.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:20 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Tires will make a big difference too...They say Slicks can knock a good second off your time.

So when comparing your time with those guys you read about in the magazines...remember that they are running slicks
Old 04-14-2007, 06:35 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

its a stick... I am not gonna kick myself at all, I went to have fun and that mission was accomplished.

There was a mustang show today at the local mustang shop. I paid for a dyno run, 190 hp and 260 tq. Now that I know what the car does completely stock I can start under the hood and see how much it helps.

Been a good weekend and its only half way through saterday.

ORIGINAL: VigCS

It is faster. You just need to learn to drive it. Stick or auto?

Don't kick yourself too much. The first time I went to the track the best I did was a 15.7. I got some gears and drag radials and I'm down to a 14.56@94 and I've got a few tenths to go still. My friend did a 14.67 spinning off the line in his '95 with gears and drag radials.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:37 PM
vtecwho
3rd Gear Member

its funny the way you explained the yellow light thing, i was the same way!! bahahahahaha
Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 PM
85GTsleeper
4th Gear Member

i say good job everyone has to start somewhere
Old 04-14-2007, 07:13 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

You will get better with practice. My first time at the strip I did a 15.7 because I just popped the clutch and spun to all hell. I went from 15.7 to 14.7 that night, and the next weekend I went from 14.7 to 14.1....and during the 14.1 run I missed 4th [:@]Woulda been in the 13s had I not
Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM
johnjr45
3rd Gear Member

not bad atleast u had fun, yea reaction time means nothin though on test and tune..

Quick Reply: I always thought it was faster....