5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Jvhemi05

Default Intake

I plan on buying a new upper/lower intake for my 94 GT. I found a Cobra intake new for it, I was told this is the best intake for my GT being it can be ported later when i get more money. I was thinking of doing it myself, but i was told you have to take out the distributor. If this is the case, how do i make sure i put the distributor back in right, cause I am not good with timing? Help me with these two questions guys thanks Jason
Old 04-15-2007, 05:23 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Intake

My usual method:

Place the distributor rotor pointing to the #1 cylinder. Get a marker or a dab of whiteout and mark the relationship of the rotor to distributor. Then you just have to remove the retaining bolt and carefully remove the distrubotor. And whatever you do, don't crank the engine until you get it all back together!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

And BTW, whoever said it was the best intake lied to you. Yeah, you can get it ported later, but you can do the same to other intakes as well. It's a bit uglier, but if you want something that will outflow the cobra intake, get an intake from an old Ford Explorer. You should be able to get one for under $100 and it's slightly better than the cobra intake. And yes, you can port this later as well.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Jvhemi05

Thanks for the info. So just back the distributor in conjunction with the engine and put in back in on those same marks. Hate to sound so stupid but how do i know which the number one cyclinder is??

Are you saying Ford explorer intake works on this car, ok, what year and liter size do i look for and how much more flow do you get?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:42 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jvhemi05

Thanks for the info. So just back the distributor in conjunction with the engine and put in back in on those same marks. Hate to sound so stupid but how do i know which the number one cyclinder is??

Are you saying Ford explorer intake works on this car, ok, what year and liter size do i look for and how much more flow do you get?
The number one cylinder on your car is the one closest to the front of the car on the passenger side. The rotor should be pointing to about the 1 o'clock position.

Yes, the Explorer intake will work. The lower is the same as the Cobra / GT40. The upper is slightly different. You can see the results in the chart I posted above (where they compared a GT40 intake, a Cobra intake, and an Explorer intake.) I'd have to look up the exact year ranges because I'm not too sure actually. I know they had them for quite a few years on their v8 5.0 engines.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:47 PM
Jvhemi05

Well I was hoping for more feedback from others and their opinions. To see if they know what year i can look at to do this. Or better yet do they agree or disagree with you . Not saying you haven't been helpful, just wondering what other guys are doing
Old 04-15-2007, 11:54 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

I picked up the TrickFlow Street Heat Intake...Havent installed it yet...but I hear good things
Old 04-16-2007, 01:50 AM
95 droptop
2nd Gear Member

Samseed is right. he knows his ****. but if you dont believe him wait for adder to get in here.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Jvhemi05

Thanks guys.. So is the cobra intake just hype i guess.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:35 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Get the Trickflow Street Heat intake, best bang for the buck.

www.tmossporting.com for intake info.

When you pull the dizzy mark where the rotor is pointing.
Then put it back in to same place.
Will have to start with it off a little as it rotates as you seat it. Very easy.

Make sure your toque intake down in PROPER sequence.

Quick Reply: Intake