5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel Pump won't turn on. HELP PLEASE!!!

Old 11-30-2004, 03:41 PM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

Default Fuel Pump won't turn on. HELP PLEASE!!!

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me? I have an 89 Mustang GT and for some reason or another the fuel pump won't turn on. I tour my car apart trying to find the problem. It's obviously electrical cause i pulled out the fuel pump to test it. So far i know the rely is good, and i know im not getting any power to the inursha switch. I have been looking at wiring diagrams but i cannot figure out this problem ot save my life. PLEASE PLEASE help me, there are no shops around here that do this for under $100 an hour, i def don't have that kind of money, thanks for the help....Nick
Old 12-01-2004, 12:09 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Pump won't turn on. HELP PLEASE!!!

Are you getting power at the Tan and light green wire at the relay?Is there power to the red and black wire at the relay?If you have power at those wires try running a temp wire from the red and black wire to the inertia switch and see if the pump powers up.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:03 PM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

well i just went outside and put the test light on the rely, im getting power to the orange and blue wire but thats all, not to anything else.thanks
Old 12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

see if this helps you out any

[IMG]local://upfiles/5542/A43131172CAD47EDB04E0AE0FCEEDF5A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-01-2004, 02:19 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

check to see if the pump is getting power, if its not then it should be the relay or fuel safety cutoff switch - if the pump is getting power then and its not runnin then the pump is bad.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:26 PM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

Try to invert your test light put the clip on the + on the battery and check for ground at the pink and black wire.That should be ground from the engine control module.When the pink and black wire ground it should activate the relay and the fuel pump.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:33 PM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

im a little confused as to what the engin control module is. Like i said before the pump is def working. i have tested it a bunch of times. Im not getting power to the inertia switch, and im having a hard time finding where exactly the ground is for this harness. I also removed the rely from under the seat and put the test light on it only getting power to the orange wire with the light blue strip. Is that the origional power comming in that gets the fuel pump working? If so then why isn't the power getting distributed throughout the rest of the car? And, one more question? on the diagram above, i see that once the power hits the rely it goes to three other locations. one being the fuel pump, one the inertia switch and i have no idea what the other one is (if anyone can help me out on that?) so for the proper way to test this problem, should i split the other wires with the rely in and see if im getting power, if i am it's not the rely and if im not then it is the rely right? thanks again for your help guys you have no idea how much i appreciate this....
Old 12-02-2004, 12:57 AM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

Anyone know??? Im begging, the sale of my car depends on this....thanks again...
Old 12-02-2004, 01:19 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

The other place the wire goes that you are talking about is to the inst. panel for the fuel guage.When you are testing the relay you keep turning off then on?Because if the car is not running the relay kicks back off.So make sure you test each wire while turning the key on.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 AM
mustang8719
3rd Gear Member

I just checked on my car I have power to all wires with the key on but the pink and black wire.The pink and black powers up for about 3 sceonds then no power because the fuel pum kicked off because the car isn't running.All the wires left go from the relay to the engine control module.The module is located under the passenger side kick panel.
I hope this helps a little.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump won't turn on. HELP PLEASE!!!