5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How to run Own stereo wires?

Old 04-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Pitviper1996

Default How to run Own stereo wires?

I just need to know how to run the power wires. Basicaly from where and what i mean by power is the red and yellow wire. and maybe power ant
Old 04-16-2007, 12:57 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How to run Own stereo wires?

i'm not quite sure why you would need to, but you need 2 power wires. 1 constant, straight from the battery, for clock and pre-set saving, and 1 wire that comes on with the key.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

yea i can help you out... if u give ne information... like what are u running wires to and from... seems like u hooking up a head unit.... but are u keeping stock speakers or did u rip the hell outta all wires that were already there.... kinda fill me in on what youve done and ill see what i can do 4 you... part numbers on what your using would get great to... links are even better
Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

We need a little more information. Like Crazy said, are these wires from the head unit?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:38 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TwotoneVert

We need a little more information. Like Crazy said, are these wires from the head unit?
i like when im rite... doesnt happen all to often lol
Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

There is an audio section, but prolly not very many people there. So i take it your hookin up an amp and sub(s) ?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:33 PM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

i dont know what the hell your asking here but if your hooking up cd player or something red hot when key is on yellow hot all time power ant jus hook it on with red one will work there .
Old 04-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Pitviper1996

ok what im asking is. Before i got the car the guy ripped out reaer speakers and all the amps to the mach stereo system. And i tried hooking up a head untit but there doesnt seem to be the right wires back there to do it so i said screw it ill run all new wires for stereo and speakers. My question is where to start i need constant(red) and hot ign(yellow) and curious where to run my wires so i can get my headunit working. I know how to run speaker wires just not the head unit. Hell if somone wants to do this ill pay them other than that any info would be great
Old 04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

I think I understand what you're asking. It's not too hard..when I'm not screwing around with teh engine, i'm wiring stereos and I'm fairly decent at it.

As you know, you need two power wires. Color doesn't necessarily amtter. It just makes it easier to remember what is what and easier for others to know what you did. Anyway, one wire needs to run to a constant source like the battery or to a fuse that can operate when teh car is off (like headlights, horn, etc.) The other "hot" wire runs to a source that is only on when the car is on or when the key is turned forward. You can run it to something like the windshield wipers fuse, etc.

You need a second constant wire because the head unit settings / memory is volatile. Meaning that if they lose power, then the settings get erased. Having it to a constant hot wire allows the clock to keep the time and allows the settings to remain the same when it is turned off and on again.

The third wire is a simple ground wire. Just ground it to a nice clean spot.

After you have all three wires hooked up the head unitl will function. Obviously you have to ahve speakers to hear it, but you will at least see the unit functioning.

Next just hook up the speakers unless you have an amp. If you need to wire an amp let me know and I can help with that too.

Also, if you don't know which is positive and which terminal is negative on your speakers, let me know and I can show you an easy trick that will tell you which is which. You just need a wire and a AA battery to figure it out.

If you need more detailed instructions or something like that I can try to get into more detail when I have time. It's not too hard though. Hell, if you lived closer I'd just tell you to bring it over and we could do it in about 30 min.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

you got red and yellow ones backwards . yellow constant and red hot when ignition on and man not hard jus get you a test light and find your wires and find a good ground . and then run speaker wires . usally you can jus go to like wallmart or something and buy a plug that will plug right into your factory plug but if they cut everything up like said get ya a test light and its easy from there .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to run Own stereo wires?