5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power Door Locks (already replaced actuator) PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Power Door Locks (already replaced actuator) PLEASE HELP

ORIGINAL: bronco slim

No there is no relay. I have a wiring diagram for the 87-88 maybe 89. I am not sure if they changed for the later ones. It should be pretty much the same. I would check the grounds first. You can see in this diagram how both sides come back through the same ground point. If you have a ****ty ground it could cause it to be slow.
Thanks for this I maybe this will help. Iam going to go ahead and replace both switchs as well. Say if I wanted to test the actuator itself, from what I gather, I would connect a 12v source to either prong on the actuator (looks like one is up and the other is down)? Is this correct? It looks like that ground is coming off the driver side switch, you wouldnt happen to know where it is actually grounded at would you? Thanks again all your help is appreciated!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:34 PM
bronco slim
1st Gear Member

Yes to test the actuator itself you would just jump 12v to one side and ground the other side. Reverse the wires and the actuator should go the other direction. No I am not exactly sure where the ground is. I am assuming somewhere in thedriver door. But you could follow the black wires off of the left switch and see where they go.

Edit: I woulndt replace those switches. I would test them first. But it sounds like they are working. You see how power comes in the middle of the switch and then goes out the the other switch through the motors then back through both switches before grounding. If they didnt work the actuators would not even move.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

Yes to test the actuator itself you would just jump 12v to one side and ground the other side. Reverse the wires and the actuator should go the other direction. No I am not exactly sure where the ground is. I am assuming somewhere in thedriver door. But you could follow the black wires off of the left switch and see where they go.
OK. Thanks. I am gonna go pickup new switches just in case on the way home from work and try it. I really want to get this fixed, particularly casue i want to install an alarm system. I don't trust the fackers in this area.

Also that 30A Circuit breaker, that would be in the fuse box under the hood right?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
bronco slim
1st Gear Member

Yes the CB should be under the hood. Those switches should still be good. I assume they are working. You can test them real easy. Do you own an ohm meter? Or maybe a test light? If you do disconnect the switches. Put one lead in one side of the switch and the other on the middle terminal. Press the switch and you should get continuity. Take the lead and put it on the other side press the switch and then you should get continuity. It sounds to me like you switches are working. If one of them was not working then your motors wouldnt have even done anything. Can you see how power has to go back and forth through the switches and motors then back through the switches before it grounds?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:08 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

Yes the CB should be under the hood. Those switches should still be good. I assume they are working. You can test them real easy. Do you own an ohm meter? Or maybe a test light? If you do disconnect the switches. Put one lead in one side of the switch and the other on the middle terminal. Press the switch and you should get continuity. Take the lead and put it on the other side press the switch and then you should get continuity. It sounds to me like you switches are working. If one of them was not working then your motors wouldnt have even done anything. Can you see how power has to go back and forth through the switches and motors then back through the switches before it grounds?
That what I was thinking. So if one switch goes out neither will work. One thing I did notice is that it moved more when I hit the passenger switch than when I hit the driver switch but it still wasn't near what it needed to be, but that may have something to do with where the switches are at in the circuit not quite sure.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:31 PM
bronco slim
1st Gear Member

I dont think that where they are in the circuit should matter much unless the terminals are corroded. Yes if one side of the switch goes out everything quits working. When you press up you are making power go through the up part of the switch, But you are also sending the ground through the down part of the switch. And it reverses if you press down. Power goes through the down side of the switch and the ground goes through the up part. I hope I am making some sense with this. I am having trouble trying to explain it.

Edit: Have you tried them not connected to the locks? Just the actuators plugged into the harness?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:34 PM
ryanworrell520
2nd Gear Member

I dont think that where they are in the circuit should matter much unless the terminals are corroded. Yes if one side of the switch goes out everything quits working. When you press up you are making power go through the up part of the switch, But you are also sending the ground through the down part of the switch. And it reverses if you press down. Power goes through the down side of the switch and the ground goes through the up part. I hope I am making some sense with this. I am having trouble trying to explain it.
Well I'll check the ground and CB when I get home if that don't do it, I will go buy new switches just to be safe (they are fairly cheaped, picked up the window switch at O'riley's for 10 bux. And if that don't do it I am going and getting a big *** bottle of Jack and giving up. I will post back on how it goes. Thanks again for the help man.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 PM
bronco slim
1st Gear Member

You dont need a CB. You are getting power already so your CB is good