5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Exhaust Leak Fix = Lag?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Leak Fix = Lag?

I have fixed my exhuast leak (missing header bolt) and replaced my fuel filter this past weekend with my brother. I notice thatsometimes when I step on it it still lags. The rpms are going up but the car isn't moving along with the rpms, then all of a sudden it kicks in and the car takes off. I have checked the spark plugs they all look good and the cap and rotor are new. I plan to change out the ignition coilas well.

Could by Throttle body be to small for my upper intake (Mods in sig)? I think it's the stock TB.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:53 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Leak Fix = Lag?

fuel tank baffle is broken and pushing gas away from the pump as you nail it.

my guess is the car dies out for a second when you whip a corner hard?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

fuel tank baffle is broken and pushing gas away from the pump as you nail it.

my guess is the car dies out for a second when you whip a corner hard?
I haven't tried that. I also noticed that it seems that I can't break the tires loose in first year anymore. My brother did notice that it seems that the fuel tank is "leaking" and that I may need a new one. How hard is it to replace the fuel tank baffle?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the baffle cannot be replaced. its tach welded inside the tank, and unless you are Rubber Man, your not gettin in there. a new tank is around $100 and it takes about 2 hours to do, on ramps.

i just did mine, for this problem, and i could smell gas as well. i never found the source of the leak, but replacing the tank fixed both.

once you drop the tank you will see what i am talking about. directly around the fuel pump there should be a piece of sheet metal that encompasses the entire pump, constantly holding gas around the pump. when it breaks off, and your gas level is low enough, it chokes the motor out when you nail it, cuz the gas is swooshing around.

also if your fuel gauge isn't working, this is most likely caused by the baffle actually smacking and breaking the sending unit, because it's just floppin around in there.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

the baffle cannot be replaced. its tach welded inside the tank, and unless you are Rubber Man, your not gettin in there. a new tank is around $100 and it takes about 2 hours to do, on ramps.

i just did mine, for this problem, and i could smell gas as well. i never found the source of the leak, but replacing the tank fixed both.

once you drop the tank you will see what i am talking about. directly around the fuel pump there should be a piece of sheet metal that encompasses the entire pump, constantly holding gas around the pump. when it breaks off, and your gas level is low enough, it chokes the motor out when you nail it, cuz the gas is swooshing around.

also if your fuel gauge isn't working, this is most likely caused by the baffle actually smacking and breaking the sending unit, because it's just floppin around in there.
This explains my problem to a "T". My fuel gauge doesn't work unless my fuel is low and the gas light comes on. My brother said I would need a new tank when he was under there. Any recommendations on a tank to get?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
black89gt
4th Gear Member

Swirl Date 4/18/2007 9:16:04 AM [blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

This explains my problem to a "T". My fuel gauge doesn't work unless my fuel is low and the gas light comes on. My brother said I would need a new tank when he was under there. Any recommendations on a tank to get?

Thanks for all your help.
I have the same problem but that was from pumping that bad shell gas like 4 years ago. I could never get it fixed.. anyone know whats wrong?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:38 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

a standard OE replacement tank from autozone will do just fine, thats what i used.

you'll notice a ring around your filler neck, that bolts to the tank edge, when you crawl under there. the new tank won't have the provisions to bolt this ring onto it, so you might want to remove it while your under there. it makes a little noise when you leave it hanging loose.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

a standard OE replacement tank from autozone will do just fine, thats what i used.

you'll notice a ring around your filler neck, that bolts to the tank edge, when you crawl under there. the new tank won't have the provisions to bolt this ring onto it, so you might want to remove it while your under there. it makes a little noise when you leave it hanging loose.
Nice!

My bro workspart-time (on and off) for advanced auto-part,so I can get it at a discounted price.

Checking prices now.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Swirl
3rd Gear Member

Found one at advanced auto-parts:

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...96&PTSet=A

Now to just see how much I can get it for.