5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

H/C/I or forged internals kit???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:06 PM
sn95stanger
1st Gear Member

Default H/C/I or forged internals kit???

I need to know so that i can get my project going.
I am looking into getting a rebuilt engine for my 95 GT and i want to supercharge it. I need to know since i will s/c it, What is more important to do... The H/c/i or forged internals kit??
\
Thanks, alot
Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

Default RE: H/C/I or forged internals kit???

H/C/I
Old 04-19-2007, 03:36 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If you're putting on a supercharger you technically don't need either.But if you want bigger gains then the H/C/I will make more of a difference. Your internals will be just fine either way.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:37 PM
sn95stanger
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

H/C/I
Thanks, alot
Old 04-19-2007, 03:39 PM
sn95stanger
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

If you're putting on a supercharger you technically don't need either.But if you want bigger gains then the H/C/I will make more of a difference. Your internals will be just fine either way.
Hey Sam. I was hopping you would chime in. Cool, so if i were to do the h/c/i and then the s/c id make alot more horses than just the s/c, but the internals would still be o.k.??? So is it the boost level that causes one to need to change internals? I thought since the h/c/i would give me much bigger gains that the internals would need changing...
Old 04-19-2007, 04:04 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

If tuned properly, your internals will hold up. As you probably know, hypereutectic pistons don't like detonation and they aren't as strong as forged internals. But if you have the car tuned properly then they can hold a reasonable amount of power.

Adding a S/C while changing out the top end will give you bigger gains than just using a supercharger alone, but you have to make sure you have the proper supporting mods and you have to make sure you don't make too much HP. When you get near that 500 mark, you are putting your block at risk. The stock block can literally split in half (that's a bad thing.)

Things to remember:

- Make sure you have enough fuel getting to the cylinders. Thay often requires a new pump and new injectors. You can technically tune your stock MAF to run new injectors, but chances are you will be pegged at 5v and you will want a bigger MAF anyway.

- Make sure your tranny can hold that much power. Too much HP or TQ and you can blow it.

- SN95 computers are very picky, especially when it comes to major mods. They especialyl don't seem to like camshafts that aren't "computer friendly." If you are putting your own kit together, take a look at teh Steede #19. It's perfect for a supercharged SN95.

- Once everything is together, get a tune and get it before you run the car. Best case scenario.. it will run like ****. Worst case scenario, you blow the engine all to hell. It's very important to get it tuned properly, especially since you don't have forged internals and are going to be running a lot of HP.

- If you do swap out the top end and add a supercharger,pay close attention to your compression ratio. High comprssion ratios + high levels of boost = bad.

- Also, if you do swap out the top end, don't go too overboard with the boost levels. Others may disagree, but personally I wouldn't dare to run more than 6 PSI withdecent compression ratio on an aftermarket top end. Again, if you push it too high, you may blow something with high pressure or with numbers that are too high for the block / tranny.

- Don't forgetfull exhaust. Those headers are restrictive ashell and itcan hurt more than you think. You can feed it all the air you want, but if it's just eating but cant take a **** (so to speak) then you're gonna have problems.

- Suspension is also important. HP is great, but if you can't keep teh tires from spinning all day, thenit' all for show.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:21 PM
sn95stanger
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

If tuned properly, your internals will hold up. As you probably know, hypereutectic pistons don't like detonation and they aren't as strong as forged internals. But if you have the car tuned properly then they can hold a reasonable amount of power.

Adding a S/C while changing out the top end will give you bigger gains than just using a supercharger alone, but you have to make sure you have the proper supporting mods and you have to make sure you don't make too much HP. When you get near that 500 mark, you are putting your block at risk. The stock block can literally split in half (that's a bad thing.)

Things to remember:

- Make sure you have enough fuel getting to the cylinders. Thay often requires a new pump and new injectors. You can technically tune your stock MAF to run new injectors, but chances are you will be pegged at 5v and you will want a bigger MAF anyway.

- Make sure your tranny can hold that much power. Too much HP or TQ and you can blow it.

- SN95 computers are very picky, especially when it comes to major mods. They especialyl don't seem to like camshafts that aren't "computer friendly." If you are putting your own kit together, take a look at teh Steede #19. It's perfect for a supercharged SN95.

- Once everything is together, get a tune and get it before you run the car. Best case scenario.. it will run like ****. Worst case scenario, you blow the engine all to hell. It's very important to get it tuned properly, especially since you don't have forged internals and are going to be running a lot of HP.

- If you do swap out the top end and add a supercharger,pay close attention to your compression ratio. High comprssion ratios + high levels of boost = bad.

- Also, if you do swap out the top end, don't go too overboard with the boost levels. Others may disagree, but personally I wouldn't dare to run more than 6 PSI withdecent compression ratio on an aftermarket top end. Again, if you push it too high, you may blow something with high pressure or with numbers that are too high for the block / tranny.

- Don't forgetfull exhaust. Those headers are restrictive ashell and itcan hurt more than you think. You can feed it all the air you want, but if it's just eating but cant take a **** (so to speak) then you're gonna have problems.

- Suspension is also important. HP is great, but if you can't keep teh tires from spinning all day, thenit' all for show.
Damn Sam... That was one hell of a write up. Thanks, a million.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Most people dont understand that boost is a measure of back pressure. A better flowing intake and exhaust will reduce boost pressure, but the airflow will be higher with lower boost pressure.