5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cheap Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:24 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cheap Paint

you will be sorry if you sand blast your car!!! Don't do it! I didn't know you were going to use spray bombs! The best thing for you to do is just take it to Maco! Unless you are doin a high dollar restoration, there is no need to take all the paint off to the bare metal! Just sand off the bad areas and spot prime! Better yet Lowes is having a sale on paint! You can get 5 gal of semi-gloss for cheap! Latex is easy soap and water clean up! Take it to Maco, or you wish you would have in the end!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:34 PM
ImRichBitch

So if i sand it then prime it myself, then take it to macco, ill have a decent paint job?

Should i go to the bare metal when sanding? What grit should i sand off the old paint with?

Is rattle can primer ok to use?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:48 PM
dman302
3rd Gear Member

This thread hurts my head....
Old 04-20-2007, 06:34 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

i use several diff grits, usally i start with 120 then finish with 400wet. rattle can primer is fine. and no dont use latex house paint from lowes, thats not even funny to the guy who said that. i had a car someone did that to, not pretty. go to the library and find some body work books, study up before u do anything, it will tell u almost everything. i have seen alot of really good books on this stuff at the library
ORIGINAL: ImRichBitch

So if i sand it then prime it myself, then take it to macco, ill have a decent paint job?

Should i go to the bare metal when sanding? What grit should i sand off the old paint with?

Is rattle can primer ok to use?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:37 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

get a da sander with some 320 grit paper and go to town ull need to remove all the oxidized paint then those area will nedd to be primerd so it will holdout good. u never nee to go to the metal unless your doing a high dollar resto. anymore question just pm me i can tell you how to do anything body and paint wise
Old 04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

I'm in High School I go to another school where I take auto tech. Since I'm one of the best in my teachers class hes letting me paint it there and do all the body work there. Look its a lot of work. I have had my car there for like 2 months maybe now and I just started doing the bondo work now. (I was mostly waiting on body parts to come in.) But anyways its a lot of work. If you don't know what your doing find someone that does or a neighbor that you trust that knows what hes doing. My teacher used to work at a body shop and plus at my other school we have a body shop and when I need help on something and my teacher doesn't know I can ask him. Its better to have people that know what to do around you. I'm hoping to get it primed in 2-3 weeks. No my car I'm not striping it down to bare metal. I know how many coats are on my car theres no need to strip it down. I just grind down where theres bumps and bondo. A really good book to have that I use is How To Paint Your Car ON A BUDGET. It really helps. I'm also changing the color of my car. Even more work. I have to paint and prep the door jams and engine bay. So hopefully I will have my car done before the end of school or I will be spending some nights at school then. If you just want to paint the car to have it last a year or 2 don't paint it. Its stupid to do that. Save your money and just have a good job done to it. I'm saving money on mine by doing it myself. So far I have spend $600 on some sanding/prep supplies and body panels. Thats not bad. So just wait and get it done by a pro if you cant find anyone to help you all the way. And buy that book... Good luck man. (( Don't rattle can the car and don't do black its the worst it shows all the dents stick with white silver gray red)) I'm personally going with gray metallic or red..
Old 04-21-2007, 04:10 PM
ford91mustang
2nd Gear Member

so are u guys sayin if i do all the body work and primer my car and then take it to maaco to be painted BLACK, would it be good? i wanted to paint my car black but many people said not to because of how it shows imperfections and all...