MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Got me some MT's today (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/277637-got-me-some-mts-today.html)

5.0stanger 04-20-2007 08:28 PM

Got me some MT's today

I was just wondering with my new tires( 255/60/15 MT ET's) what I should launch at on stock axles. I also wonder how long I should heat them, and how you guys with a stick do it? Thanks...can't wait to use them:D

mattdel 04-20-2007 08:29 PM

RE: Got me some MT's today

we just dump the clutch at 2k, they free spin right away. gotta watch that tach though, my rev limiter doesn't work.

Scout2232 04-20-2007 08:41 PM

Easiest way would be to get a line lock put on the front brakes. The way I do it is heel toe on the gas and brake. My brother prefers to dump the clutch then switch over to the brake.

5.0stanger 04-20-2007 09:20 PM

I don't like the heel toe..to easy to over rev, at leat for me. I can do the dump, grab, but i didn't want to look like a yahoo doing it. My be I will just get the line lock...I have been wanting one anyway.

5.0stanger 04-20-2007 09:20 PM

What should I launch at?

Arrid Extra Dry 04-20-2007 09:43 PM

i roll in the water box in 1st gear,
stop
spin a little
pull up about 2 feet
put it in 2nd gear, rev it up to about 4500, and let go on the clutch and smack the brakes quick if you dont have a line lock. and smoke the cheit out of them!!!
the key to doing a burnout in a 5 speed, is getting the wheel speed up quick where it wont start wheel hopping. and 1st gear burnouts on et streets will not do it, , you have too use 2nd gear to get wheel speed up quick, to do a good burnout.
on et streets i used too run about 12 to 13 pounds, depending on how they preped the track.
ive seen some people run 20 to 25 pounds (in slower cars)
it all depends on how your suspension is working too. you will have too play around with the tire pressure.
but make sure you do a 2nd gear burnout and get them really hot!!
usually on just test and tune at most tracks they dont prep the track like they would on a race day...
so you might have to get some vht.
in my old car, i ran aline from my winshield washer motor, back right above my tires, and all i had too do was hit the washer button...and i had vht spraying right on the tires.

rsw007 04-20-2007 10:02 PM

14-16 psi

second gear burn out till smoke rolls off the tires good.

i recomend 3000rpm fast release of the clutch "not dump"

i know someone running325/50 mt drag radial that cut a 1.28 60ft

5.0stanger 04-20-2007 10:04 PM

Sounds good, I knew I couldn't get it in first, can't hardly do a good one on street tires in first always have to grab second. What is vht, like tire glue?

EDIT- 3000rpm..sounds like what I do now..hope i can do it faster now that i will hook better. Thanks

Arrid Extra Dry 04-20-2007 10:23 PM

i would weld up all the places the factory missed,like the axle tubes, and torque boxes!!
too much to name.
wheel hopping is the worst thing you can do to any car, ive seen people break tremec cases,
rip both torque boxes out, break axles.
and 20 other things.
as long as you dont let it wheel hop, and do minor welding, you will be ok for a little while.
what makes it wheel hop, is not getting up enough tire speed fast enough doing your burn out, or when your leaving the line,(spinning) usually you need lower control arms. or a better tire. or both.
but i would just start out at about 2500, and go from there.
if it doesnt wheel hop or spin, leave a little harder, next time.
but if it starts to wheel hop or chatter, let out of it!!!!!

Arrid Extra Dry 04-20-2007 10:30 PM

sorry if i sound like a driving instructor just slap me...
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]