5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A/C and smog Removal Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:20 PM
scbmx87
1st Gear Member

Default A/C and smog Removal Help!!!

Hey guys, what all can I actually remove completely when I take my a/c out. I mean I can obviously remove the compressor itself, and the hard lines coming off of it, but what else? The condensor and that black bottle thats bolted to the firewall come off too? And with my smog stuff, what all stays and what all goes? I don't have emissions because of my car being "historic." I bought the a/c eliminator kit but i'm just gonna remove the smog pump completely. There's also a hose under my intake hose that looks to be something with smog. The vaccum lines coming off of my smog **** are confusing me. Do I just take them out and plug the holes? Any articles or pics or advice would help a whole lot, thanks guys. This forum rocks...[sm=pimp.gif]
Old 04-21-2007, 12:28 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default RE: A/C and smog Removal Help!!!

if you dont want your heater either you can remove all the ac duct work under the dash as well as the electric motor that pumps the air through the system.

for the smog vac lines, you can trace those back to a couple electronic valves behind the passenger side shock tower. those can go and just plug up their source. if your keeping the egr valve then you will need to leve the valve and vacuum line for it. with the smog pump gone you will need to ditch the stock h-pipe. the cats will clog without the air pump and can cause a fire. you can get rid of the metal line that connects the back of both heads together and just use a couple bolts to plug the two holes.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:34 PM
scbmx87
1st Gear Member

I'd like to keep my heater, which is where the confusion comes in. The little black canister that sits on the passenger side of the car on the firewall in the engine bay, what is it? Can it go away? Where is the heater motor and the lines that run through the heater core? I'm guessin I have to leave them in, right? What do I have to do to get rid of my EGR, and what exactly is it? There's also a rectangular plastic container beside my smog pump that has a/c lines running to it, can it come out? Thanks again guys.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:50 PM
91MustangGt
1st Gear Member

The things you can remove are the Compressor itself and the lines. That black bottle that you're talking about has to do with your smog system, its the smog cannister and that collects fumes and smog that your car produces, so unless you're gonna take out your smog system i don't recommend taking it out.

If you are going to take out your smog system, then all of the hoses for that can go, the cannister, the smog pump, but you've got to plug the pipe thats on your exhaust pipe.
If you're going to remove your heat aswell, then you need to buy a coupling that will take the hoses that go to the heatercore and join them together so you can remove the heatercore. Just know that this will require you removing the entire dash, its no picnic.

I'm sure you can find websites where they teach you how to do that.
Oh an your engine light will be on after you remove alot of that stuff, it'll probably be on all the time after you remove all that stuff..
Old 04-21-2007, 04:35 PM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

the black canister he is talking bout is for his a/c . the smog ones your talking bout are like right round smog pump . cause i jus took all my **** out few weeks ago still have a/c pump and smog pump on motor but as soon as figure out how to run belt with out them they will be off . and the lines that bolt to your heads i jus broke it off at the back of engine and put a bolt in it and welded it . but if your 86 is efi i dont know if you need some of that vacum or not my 85 is carb so i didnt and i got rid of all the vacum sht i didnt need the egr and everything .