5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 07:34 PM
kornfan_88
2nd Gear Member

Default WTF???

Ok, so I just put in a new heater core and when I did this I also did a new thermostat, all new hoses, new radiator cap and also flushed the system real good.....Now heres my problem. Its still doing what it did before I did everything. I can drive it around town fine, but when I get on the highway and drive to Savannah (about 60 miles) and then stop somewhere it pukes coolant everywhere. It fills up the puke tank and it all comes out of there. What could be causing this?
Old 12-05-2004, 08:02 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WTF???

I blown head gasket could be the culprit. See what happens is that the compression chamber gasses are being introduced into the cooling system and pressurizing the system beyond what it should be, causing the weak link to let go. Even though the listed parts are new, they aren't designed to withstand those sort of pressures.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:05 PM
me alot fast than u
I ♥ Acer

is the car over heating?
Old 12-05-2004, 08:45 PM
kornfan_88
2nd Gear Member

Yea, I noticed the upper radiator hose gets really hard. The hose gets hot like it normally does, but i don't remember the hose ever getting that hard. And yes, it overheats but not everytime. Wouldn't I be getting some white smoke out of the exhaust or something? Thanks for the help and anymore input.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

No, overheating doesn't mean white smoke. Blown headgasket would mean white smoke or atleast a ton of coolant all over your block and one nasty *** odor.

I don't know much about foxes, but look down the list of the obvious. If you have 2 electric fans, are they both coming on when your thermostat opens...

When you filled with water & coolant, did you leave your radiator cap off and let the system 'burp' any air bubbles out, also have you thought about replacing your radiator cap...
Old 12-05-2004, 09:39 PM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

There always isn't white smoke associated with a blown head gasket. It depends on where in the gasket it fail. It can be broken from the comb. chamber to a cooling passage which would give you the symptoms described.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:37 PM
kornfan_88
2nd Gear Member

Yea, we "burped" it and put a new cap on it.....so I'm guessing the worst.....I also noticed a kind of ticking sound on the drivers side somewhere in the area of the head after driving it and turning it off. I know the exhaust makes that noise but it sounds different....
Old 12-06-2004, 12:24 AM
nemethjames1
4th Gear Member

i would say pull the plugs when the car is warmed up and do a compression check... first thing
Old 12-06-2004, 02:09 AM
roundman
5th Gear Member

^^^^^^agree with what he said. compression check ASAP. one question, when you refilled it after the work and flush, did you let the system come up to full temp with the rad cap off, then top off the rad? and was the overflow tank already fairly full at this point? if so, it could be you had too much total coolant in the combined systems and the overflow tank had to vent out the excess. also could be the clutch fan ain't working right either letting things get too hot too.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:21 AM
kornfan_88
2nd Gear Member

We just refilled like we always have and the overflow was at the level it was supposed to be....and the clutch fan isn't that old which I know doesn't mean much.....and everytime this happens and I let it sit the radiator is almost empty....its holds a good 3/4 gallon when I check it when its cold....

Quick Reply: WTF???