5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

NOS!!!!!!OR no NOS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:16 AM
mustang5_0gt
2nd Gear Member

Default NOS!!!!!!OR no NOS

been thinking about getting a nos system for my car. Just wondering if anyone has has any luck I don't want 2 blow my motor so would a 100-150 shot be ok.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:28 AM
koesterca1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NOS!!!!!!OR no NOS

Depends if your going to get a wet shot or a dry shot. Also you need to get a bigger fuel pump, sparkplugs,etc. If your engines got any weak spots nitrous will find it.Might want to start with a lower shot like a 50 or 75 and see how that goes before you crank it up to 150.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:30 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Drop insome jets for a wet100 shot, tune it properly, get a window switch, get a fuel pressure safety switch and be done with it. If you want to go one step further then get direct port or get a spacer / plateso that it can't pool in the upper.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:31 AM
mustang5_0gt
2nd Gear Member

im wanting 2 get a 255 walbro fuel pump. I bought double platinum auto lite plugs
Old 04-24-2007, 11:32 AM
mustang5_0gt
2nd Gear Member

wat is the difference in a wet shot and a dry shot , which would be better or more horsepower. thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

lose the platinum plugs and go with good old fashiones copper plugs. When you start to look at things like blowers or nitrous, platinum plugs don't hold up as well. The spark would literally blow itself out under boost or with teh addition of nitrous. When it comes to spark plugs, more expensive doesn't equal better.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:38 AM
mustang5_0gt
2nd Gear Member

bought the double platinum plugs cuz thats all they had, whats ur opinion on the nos, whould u do it or not
Old 04-24-2007, 11:39 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang5_0gt

wat is the difference in a wet shot and a dry shot , which would be better or more horsepower. thanks
From a post of mine yesterday:

A Dry kit only uses a nitrous solenoid and it simply sprays nitrous into the intake. A wet kit uses both a nitrous solenoid and a fule solenoid and it sprays a mixture of nitrous and gasoline into your intake.

With a dry kit, you place the nozzle in front of the MAF so that your sensor can correctly meter the air and tell your fuel injectors how much fuel to spray. In the dry kits, your injectors will spray more fuel to attain the correct mixture.

With a wet kit, you install the flgger nozzle after the MAF. The MAF meters the air as usual, but you spray nitrous and the correct amount of fuel through the solenoids. You know it's the correct amount because you put in the jet nozzle size for the gains that you are looking for. Just find the HP gain you want, find the proper jets, install them, and tune it and you are good to go. There's a little moreto it than that, but that's the simplified version. it's really not that complicated.

With a wet kit, you run the risk of what is called "pooling" in the upper intake. If the airflow isn't strong enough and the mixture settles in the upper intake, you can experience a nitrous backfire which isn't pretty. But if you set it up properly this isn't usually a problem. A Window switch will also help with this, as you can set it so that the nitrous will not spray below 3000 RPM (a safe number.)

With a dry kit, you can lean out the engine too much if it isn't properly metered or if the injctors can't keep up with the demand. But this shouldn't be an issue with your larger injectors, MAF, etc.

Some people argue which one is safer. Some say that wet is safer because you'll enver go lean. Others say dry is safer because you don't have to worry about spraying fuel into your intake. I say that both can be safe if installed and used correctly and both can be unsafe if installed and used incorrectly. As far as being better for the engine, in the end there's no real difference (if installed correctly.) In the end, you're going to have a mixture of nitrous and fuel in your cylinders. The only difference is how it gets there. But it all ends up in the same place in the end.

The HP gains are going to be the same. 100HP is 100 HP whether it's wet or dry. The only difference is how the kits rate the HP. For some copmanies, 100 HP = 100 BHP while with other companies, 100 HP = 100 RWHP. But whether it's wet or dry, 100 is 100. It's like the old joke "which weights more, a ton of lead or a ton of feathers?" A ton is a ton

Old 04-24-2007, 11:40 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang5_0gt

bought the double platinum plugs cuz thats all they had, whats ur opinion on the nos, whould u do it or not
I actually run a 10 PSI Procharger supercharger. I also run a 100 wet shot of nitrous on top of that. SO yeah, I'd do it
Old 04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
mustang5_0gt
2nd Gear Member

what does ur car run in the 1/4 mile and are u using cheater slicks or street tires

Quick Reply: NOS!!!!!!OR no NOS