5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Carb vs. EFI

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:56 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default Carb vs. EFI

I'm commin to a time where i need to make my mind up and pick one. I found a nice motor by M&R on ebay who i was going to buy my short block from with a mild/agressive cam, 10.8:1 comp ratio, edelbrock victor jr 60cc heads, etc etc puttin out 550hp @ 5800 and 510tq at 4200... but it comes with a carb.

Up until this point i was pretty set on EFI even thouhg i have no idea what im diong with it. My dad at least has an idea of how to adjust a carb and how to make it work right. However i have also heard that EFI is better in many respects so i dont really know what to do. What do you guys think for my 408w?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:02 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Carb vs. EFI

EFI and a professional dyno tune.... your car, and your wallet will thank you
Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 PM
5.0liter_rice_eater
2nd Gear Member

I would definately stay carbed! EFI is nice, but nothin beats a carb. People are gonna bitch about fuel milage and all that, but thats about out the window w/ a 408.It's alot less of a hassel (at least i thinkso)and save a few pounds. I'm just a sucker for carbed motors, gives it more of that muscle car feel, ya know?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
notch5oh
3rd Gear Member

go EFI, you can tune each cylinder if you have the right computer which is a great thing, and the tuning is more consistant.also i think it willidle better with a bigger cam.

if the motor you wanna buy already has a carb why not keep that forawhile then go to EFI when you got the $?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

if carb's were so great.... we'd still use them in new cars.... EFI FTMFW
Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 PM
blacknotchbob
1st Gear Member

I have to agree, I picked up two tenths in the 8th after switching to a carb. Lost some weight (and fuel milage) and tuned properly, jetting etc, throttle response is just as crisp, if not a little snappier than efi. Also the engine is a lot easier to work on, say if you blow a head gasket or two using too much n2o...
Old 04-24-2007, 09:33 PM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

no if people wasnt so fcking dumb they would still have carbs on them . grannit fuel injection is nice at times . but for cheaper power go carb . and with efi if ur car takes a sht and dont know much bout it gotta take to shop cause so many damn sensors and with carb can only be few things if car wont start . so i say stay with carb.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: jerrylee01

no if people wasnt so fcking dumb they would still have carbs on them . grannit fuel injection is nice at times . but for cheaper power go carb . and with efi if ur car takes a sht and dont know much bout it gotta take to shop cause so many damn sensors and with carb can only be few things if car wont start . so i say stay with carb.

you call others dumb... and you spell like a 3rd grader!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 PM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

hey thats just my opion . and 3rd grader well this is from a 3rd grader then kiss my *** . but if that motor is making that kinda power with carb leave it alone and just drop it in . cause im sure that kind power he would have to get bigger injectors , fuel pump and god knows what else im not really into efi cars that much . and im sure it would be alot cheaper to jus convert his efi car into a carburetored.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Hurricanedt77
2nd Gear Member

Everyone knows that engines run much more efficently with an Electronic Fuel Injection Setup. You can fine tune everything, and you just cant beat how nice and clean it would run. But I'm a carb guy myself, only because I do all my work in my driveway. I can tear down my motor VERY quickly, its easy as hell. Less than 5 wires, a throttle cable and some vaccume lines. Thats just the way I like it, and I'm sure if I found somebody whos good at tuning carbs I could have it jetted perfectly.

It all comes down to opinion.
I did notice that it came with a carb intake manifold and a carbuerator already on it. So you'd be selling that I'm sure, and spending a pretty fair ammount more on an intake manifold. Throttle body and all that other stuff.

Good luck, with whatever you do!

Quick Reply: Carb vs. EFI