5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

put on heads have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:47 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default put on heads have a few questions

ok i am puttin my heads bak on finally!!... i got a few questions.... i am using ARP studs so should i but the studs in first then slide the heads on or put hte heads on first and slide hte studs in???... whats hte proper what to put a stud on??... do u just tighten it with your fingers as much as possible then throw the nut on and tighten it down then tighten to torque specs?? also should i use nething on the studs b4 i put htem in?? my documentation i am useing says torque them to 60 then 70... does that seem about rite?? they are gt-40 iron heads, there not aluminum
Old 04-25-2007, 06:23 PM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: put on heads have a few questions

you have to put the studs on first they should have spots on the ends to use an allen wrench to tighten them down i used some blue loc tight before i screwed them in the block.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:33 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

yea i figured out the allen wrench thing after i got to looking at them... do u think the locktite is a good idea?? also are u supposta torque the studs a certain amount when u put them in the block or not?? i know u torque the nut u put on it to 70 but what about the stud into the block?? also the gaskets i have dont let fluid flow thru some of hte paths... what should i do about that... take a razor to it and carefuly open up the coolant passages?? i assume that if there are blocked its nto goin to be a good them but i dont wanna go take a razor to them if i shouldnt..

oh yea and i have red locktite is that ok instead of blue?? or should i go buy red??
Old 04-25-2007, 06:46 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ne1??? plz help!! i could guess.. i am a good guesser... but i dont want to guess lol... im puttin locktite on the studs now and im puttin hte studs in first and slide the heads over but what about the coolant passages?? most are blocks... actualyl all but hte front too are blocks... the other ones just ahve a tiny hole thats like 6mm in diameter to flow thru so i dont thats not good... i dont see a problem with using my razor knife and cutting hte gaskets to match but i dont know everything and want some kind of input
Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

I did head gaskets a couple weeks ago andI just left them as-is, because the original head gaskets where the same way. I was tempted to cut holes in the passeges also, it looks strange.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:15 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89stanglx

I did head gaskets a couple weeks ago andI just left them as-is, because the original head gaskets where the same way. I was tempted to cut holes in the passeges also, it looks strange.
im assumine tou car is running rite?? lol no heading problems??? mayb they arent coolant passages mayb there just air ways... if i dont get ne other answers soon i will probably do the same
Old 04-25-2007, 07:28 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

You do not need to cut anything out.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMan@TheWheel

You do not need to cut anything out.

ok that works for me... two say no cutting and zero say cut no i but hte knife away[&o] lol
Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

lol
Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

one heads torque down taking a supper break... i was wondering about the holes on the front you know the ones the braketing hoods onto... well the front and the bak of the heads have hte same bolts in the same place... so i just went wit hte numbers punched into the valves on the under side of the heads... it was 1-4 and 5-8 so i figured i was ok doin that.... oh yea and this BBQ chicken my mom mayb is pretty damn good too the mashed potatoes are better tho lol

Quick Reply: put on heads have a few questions