5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel Pump Change...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:05 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Default Fuel Pump Change...

Getting ready to put in a new high volume fule pump. Anybody with experience doing it on a 91? Any do's or don't's would be greatly appreciated.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Pump Change...

Id imagine its no different than replacing the stock unit.
-P.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

make sure the tank is pretty much empty, first off. secondly, you will notice that the filler hose is strapped and bolted to the stock tank. unbolt it before you start dropping the tank. after you support the tank with a jack, or your chest(like me, lol), remove the 2 bolts holding the straps. the passenger side strap moves freely, but the drivers side strap is made to insert into the tank skid plate. you'll find it easier to unbolt the driver side strap first, and pry it out from that plate. then do the passenger side. drop the tank down a few inches, remove all the electrical connections on top, and the fuel lines. after everything is loose and disconnected, slide the tank towards the drivers side, and down at the same time. the filler tube goes into the side of the tank, a good 8-12 inches.

dont worry about using blocks of wood or non-metal objects to move the lock ring holding the pump hanger. the lock ring is made of aluminum and won't spark. just be careful and take your time.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:17 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Mattdel,

YOU...YOU...YOU YOUR GOOD...That helps allot!

make sure the tank is pretty much empty, first off. secondly, you will notice that the filler hose is strapped and bolted to the stock tank. unbolt it before you start dropping the tank. after you support the tank with a jack, or your chest(like me, lol), remove the 2 bolts holding the straps. the passenger side strap moves freely, but the drivers side strap is made to insert into the tank skid plate. you'll find it easier to unbolt the driver side strap first, and pry it out from that plate. then do the passenger side. drop the tank down a few inches, remove all the electrical connections on top, and the fuel lines. after everything is loose and disconnected, slide the tank towards the drivers side, and down at the same time. the filler tube goes into the side of the tank, a good 8-12 inches.

dont worry about using blocks of wood or non-metal objects to move the lock ring holding the pump hanger. the lock ring is made of aluminum and won't spark. just be careful and take your time.

< Message edited by mattdel -- 4/25/2007 4:14:15 PM >[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

not a problem i just replaced my tank, sending unit, and pump just a few weeks back, so its all fresh in my memory plus i've done about a hundred fuel pumps in my time, it gets easier each time.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:28 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

I'm stalling at stop lights or when coming to a stop...The obvious seems to be a fuel issue. I will clean the MAF as well and see if that is the problem, other then that the beast runs pretty good...
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-26-2007, 08:05 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

I ment to ask you how do you like your STANG? I just got mine 2 weeks ago...It is truly amazing as to how mint this care is...50,000 miles, I am telling you it looks like the care was completely built and the opps, a divorce forced a quick sale...Right place at the right time, with CASH....Do you of any dyno tune shops in IL that specialize in 5.0?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-26-2007, 08:09 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

I did mine in about an hour, definetly easy
Old 04-26-2007, 08:22 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

What brand did you get and were from and how much if I might ask?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

I bought a brothers performance brand, which is just a walbro anyways 190's list for 89.99

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Change...