5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

89 Mustang Steering Rack Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
xjedix
1st Gear Member

Default 89 Mustang Steering Rack Questions

Well I bought a 89' Mustang a few weeks ago and am having an issue with it. The front right wheel has a little bit of play in it. I initially thought it was a wheel bearing so I replaced the bearings on that side. After putting it back together it made no difference. I pulled it apart once again and found that the tie rod on that side had just a tiny bit of play in it. I assume that little bit of play in the tie rod is translating to a bit more movement witht he wheel on.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem? How difficult is a steering rack to replace? Any suggestions on what steering rack to buy?? I would like to keep it as cheep as possible and still have OEM quality. I have found some that are 2.5 turns LTL vs. the stock 3 turns LTL.

Thanks for any help,

-Derek
Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 89 Mustang Steering Rack Questions

my car does the same it is the tie rods, i replaced a rack in my 89 and its not too bad, late model resto sells a kit for $250 which includes the rack, tie rods and polyurethane bushings, you will also need an allignment when finished but your car will feel so much better
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
xjedix
1st Gear Member

How long does it take to replace the entire rack?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:18 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

why the hell would you replace the whole rack for a bad tie rod???

thats like buying a new motor for a valve cover leak!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:27 PM
xjedix
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

why the hell would you replace the whole rack for a bad tie rod???

thats like buying a new motor for a valve cover leak!
Will replaceing just a tie rod make it feel brand new??? I have been told that getting a new rack makes the steering feel excellent after. I would also like to change the steering ratio.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

if all u need is a tie rod end it would take a couple minutes to unscrew the old one and screw on the new one. If you do it right you shouldnt' need an alignment afterwards if the tie rod end is the same piece.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 AM
xjedix
1st Gear Member

What goes wrong with the tie rod that would cause play in it??? Forgive me I do not know what the mechanics of the internals on a steering rack.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

the tie rod is not internal to the steering rack... it threads on. and its a ball and socket type fitting... they wear out.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 AM
xjedix
1st Gear Member

I know that the tie rod just screws in but still dont understand what wears out to cause movement. I guess ill just have to pull it apart to see for myself. Does anyone possibly have pics of this by chance??
Old 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM
xjedix
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang8689

my car does the same it is the tie rods, i replaced a rack in my 89 and its not too bad, late model resto sells a kit for $250 which includes the rack, tie rods and polyurethane bushings, you will also need an allignment when finished but your car will feel so much better
How many power steering lines are hooked up to the steering rack??? I was briefly looking at it this morning and could only see one line running into the top of the rack and 2 bolts holding the rack on. Is there more to it that i'm not seeing??

Quick Reply: 89 Mustang Steering Rack Questions