5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

FANNNN

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:48 AM
aceofSpades
1st Gear Member

Default FANNNN

YEAAA so i just got my 1990 notch, i love it.
first thing i wanna do is take off that dam stock fan as i hear it is holdin back quite a bit of power
i hear taurus electric fans work the best.
also....any cheap easy mods i can do do bump up the power?!
advance the timing?
i'll do a tuneup....whats the best name brands out there!
hook me up with lil hints, tricks of the trade!
new 5.0'er here! help me out
i hear u guys are the best!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: FANNNN

start reading

https://mustangforums.com/m_2141191/tm.htm

more importantly

http://home.pon.net/hunnicutt/50must.htm
Old 04-27-2007, 06:01 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

i cant stress enough how important maintaince is. Do a full tune up and then some. Whatever money you have now, throw into making it run properly with all the right fluids etc, and then save up for mods.

Edit: also your gonna need to learn a few things around here.
1. BUILD SUSPENSION THEN HP
2. ADDER IS A PR!CK, but one of the most helpful people here.
3. Dont beat your car and it will last longer.
4. Maintain the car and it will last longer.
5. My names zach and ive got a 91gt and i will help you out with as much as i can.

TIP: if you do the electric fan mod, you should also do the 3g alternator swap.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 AM
aceofSpades
1st Gear Member

thanks for the links, and thanks for the advice!
Old 04-27-2007, 06:18 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

np man but seriously please remember to tune up your car before modding it because if you dont you will run into problems. I suggest the following.

Plugs, Cap, Wires, Rotor, Distributor, Tfi Module, O2 Sensors, Fuel Injection Cleaning, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Thermastat, Oil Change, Tranny Fluid Flush and Fill, Gears Oiled, Chasis Lubed, Sub Frame Connectors *should be considered maintance* and theres probably a few other things i cant think of off the top of my head.

Once this is done your basically set to start modding on your suspension. If you hear a "whine" sound from your powersteering pump its completely normal and sometimes a fluid flush and fill will help that.

If you hear a whine from your fuel pump thats also normal, however i really would start saving for a new one.

*things to save for*
water pump, power steering pump, alternator and ofcourse tires. These things go out every day on cars no matter what kind of vehicle you have, however when a motor has alot of miles on it, and the surrounding parts also do, these parts are more then likely going to be going out while you have the vehicle.

As far as gaining hp, you need to as i said earlier build up your suspension.
sub frame connectors, springs, shocks, struts, upper and lower front and rear control arms, sway bars, traction bars, and ofcourse tires if you call that suspension

From there your good to go on the HCI swap however i would also recommend gears, either 373s or 410s your choice. HCI is heads/cam/intake. Alot of people will lean towards the "budget" hci swap which would be the GT40 or the Cobra upper and lower intake with an e303 or trick flow stage 1 cam and either gt40 or gt40p heads.

Some people like Trick Flow Top End kits, however there around 2.2k.

When building the h/c/i dont forget about everything that can nickle and dime you to death. You always have to remember about the supporting mods. Throttle body, Fuel Injectors, Mass Air Flow Meter, etc. These things really will add up fast.

Other then what ive posted, im not really sure what else to say but good luck and welcome to the forums. Hopefully you enjoy your stang.

PS: 1. maintance, 2. suspension, 3. mods.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

3.73 or 4.10's gears
Nitrous mustang Forums
Advance Your Timing for Performance !
Ford's GT-40P Cylinder Heads -96 ford explorer
summit racing.com
Welcome!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:48 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

another site to look at is 50resto.com they have alot of great things at great prices!