MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   my cam came in today! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/281204-my-cam-came-in-today.html)

vtecwho 04-27-2007 11:35 PM

my cam came in today!

i got a e303 to complement my 1.7 RR on my 93 gt (below). i would have like to get a different one but i have ford everything on the car and want to keep it that way, more original. AND not much else works with 1.7 RR. i have to wait untill sunday to intall it because i have 2 huge tests on sat and sun

if i have thought about it correctly, i dont have to take off my gt40 heads, do i??? any other suggestions before i enbark on this swap??
lets hear some of your thoughts

preciousroy 04-27-2007 11:39 PM

RE: my cam came in today!

if you can rig up a system using magnets to hold your lifters up out of there bores thenyou dont have to pull the heads, if you cant get them all to stay up, then off the heads must come to pull the lifters out to have the clearance to swap the cam

vtecwho 04-27-2007 11:42 PM

i have a magnet wand thing i got from autozone, the ones that extend so you can get bolt you drop in the engine bay. i was thinking that i could pull them out with that. im not certain if it will work though

5.0liter_rice_eater 04-27-2007 11:45 PM

lol, i'm not too certain that will work either

preciousroy 04-27-2007 11:46 PM

you have to have all of them pulled out at the same time, and as far out as they can possibly go, if you try to wing it you could end up damaging your cam or cam bearings

vtecwho 04-27-2007 11:48 PM

all of the lifter have to come out at once? damn! so to get the lifters out you have to take off the heads. but wouldnt the lifters come out with the push rods?

5.0liter_rice_eater 04-27-2007 11:54 PM

I'm an idiot. Yeah once pull the rockers and pushrods you should be able to yank the lifters at that point. No need to pull the heads.

preciousroy 04-27-2007 11:56 PM

the lifters will hit the bottom of the head before they are out all the way

Evil_F 04-27-2007 11:56 PM

You can take them out one at a time, with the heads on I think. But they do make a fancy contraption to lift them all at once. I pulled mine out with a magnet wand. I had my heads off thoug. If you have any probs sliding in the cam (I did a little). Dont force it. I had to screw the cam bolt in a few threads so I coult lift the back end of the cam that was in the motor over the final bearing.

vtecwho 04-27-2007 11:57 PM

well at least you admit it, many people i know dont admit it. hahahaha j/k. it didnt make much sence lifting them all out at once, but i have not done the swap before so i though i would take into consideration what anyone says. good im glad that they dont have to come out all at once.