5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

got the taurus fan installed(NOW WITH PIC)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 03:34 AM
ballstix
1st Gear Member

Default RE: got the taurus fan installed(NOW WITH PIC)

Hey mustangfxbdy looks good, I have a question for you though do you run a stock alt? If you do how does it handle the load of that fan? I really want to do the conversion but just dont want to mess with the alternator its new.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:48 AM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

yeah i made sure i got both ends of the plugs...

i have the stock alt.... it does fine pulls it down a little but not alot plus im running a msd ingnition also plus I have underdrive pulleys....

i checked the voltage at the battery with fans off and it was 14.4 volts with fan on its high speed it dropped to 13.7 but with the fan on low speed it stayed at 14 volts... does fine.... 100% only way i see a problem is if battery was not that good or if you had a alt. that was not up to par.. but if you have a healthy alt. your ok... i was running around tonight with lights on and fan on highwith radio onand my headlights did not dim at all everything was fine.... i am going to put a 100 amp alt on though in the future but thats because i just feel better considering im going to be installing more electronic stuff in the future....
Old 04-28-2007, 03:50 AM
ballstix
1st Gear Member

Awesome sounds good, I think I can get one of those fans for 20 at local junk yard. Oh also did you wire up a thermostat to have the fan come on and off?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:58 AM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

no wired it up with two switches and two relays one for low speed and one for high speed... reason being is when im at the track i can kick the fan on with the car off and key off... in between runs.... the switches are in the ashtray spot under the lid... i have to finalize all of that tommorrow...

but you can get a thermastat switch and install it that way also....
Old 04-28-2007, 04:01 AM
ballstix
1st Gear Member

Ahhh I did that on my old 85 Bronco but I would forget to turn it on sometimes :[. The truck was used only off road though so I wasnt sure how it would hold up in the street thanks for the info.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:07 AM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

im used to turning it on because of my car i had before this one had the same setup... it works just as good as it would if you had a thermastat switch... when the car warms up to operating temp i throw them on.... plus i have a habbit of watching my gauges carfully especially the temp. and oil pressure....
Old 04-28-2007, 04:21 AM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

instead of using toggle would it hurt to jus run it on a hot wire that is hot every time key is on . and how many wires are on those tarus fans i thought maybe would jus be a hot and ground but if you say there is 2 speeds gotta be more then 2 wire right .
Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 AM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

3 wires
theres a ground and one hot wire for low speed and one for high speed

its ok to run it with a hot wire thatstays hot when the keys onbut make sure you still userelays and fuses.... you would want the hot wire thats hot when the keys on just the trigger wire for the relays to do it the right way
Old 04-28-2007, 04:30 AM
jerrylee01
2nd Gear Member

ya planned on using fuse when get one and looks like im gonna have to call some junk yards soon and get me one . but since you say there is hot for low and high would prob do like you did run sprate switch for each speed . on low speed does it keep car cool for like town driving and high way . and jus use high when ever gonna be on it for while .
Old 04-28-2007, 04:33 AM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

low will keep it fine for highway but i would use high for stop and go traffic on a hot day or if you getting on it hard.. the low speed still flows pretty good but the high flows alot of air....

Quick Reply: got the taurus fan installed(NOW WITH PIC)