5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What do I need to do?????????/

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:51 PM
ApocalypseHoboken

Default What do I need to do?????????/

Hey guys, I'm still rather new to this Mustang thing... I have an 87 GT 5 speed with a mild cam, and a fenderwall CAI. My problem has been with the idle. When I bought the car last fall it was fine. I put it in storage for the winter and now after doing that I've run into this damn idle problem. The idle isn't loping or anything.... It's sticking at 1500-2000 rpm.

It started out as a problem that would occur after I drove the car for about 20 minutes or after spending a few minutes in 5th gear and then coming to a stop. Then I noticed it happened a lot when I spent time in heavy traffic. The car would return to idle at 800-900 rpm just fine and then after a while i'd come to a stop and it would first want to idle around 1100. Then the next time I'd come to a stop it would idle around 1300 progressing it's way with each stop towards that 1500 mark and staying there.

I recently changed the gears to 3:73 and for some reason after the gear swap the problem got even worse. I took some suggestions and changed the IAC which didn't really help too much. I did however notice that if I really feathered the gas while driving that it idled okay; but if I put the RPM above 2000 that seemed to instantly trigger a problem of not wanting to return to normal idle.

Today I bought a TPS thinking that could be the problem. I threw it on and now the car doesn't want to idle normal at all. The WHOLE time it wants to idle around at least 1500 and after driving for a few wants to idle around 2000!

Can anyone tell me what is wrong here?

Thanks guys...
Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What do I need to do?????????/

idle screw could be set like that because of the SD and cam
Old 04-29-2007, 05:05 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:11 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Buy or borrow a scanner and check for codes. That is ALWAYS the first place to start with a problem in my book.