5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what causes this

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: what causes this

i'd say... pull the chip out, because they are useless... then pull your fuel injectors out and move the #1 and #8 injector to somewhere else

if the problem follows the injectors, youve found your problem. If the problem stays... suspect something electrical
Old 04-29-2007, 11:52 PM
saleen coupe
2nd Gear Member

i don't have a chip in now the mechanic told me i would have to get one thats why i'm asking you guys, he said i needed a custom chip. I never thought about moving the injectors i may try that when i get some time, also what kind of electrical problems would cause that.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:54 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

could be a chaffed wire causing cyl 1 and 8 injectors to fire twice... or it could be a problem with weak spark in those two cylinders, causing a slow burn and fuel being dumped into the exhaust.... or maybe the injectors are leaking
Old 04-30-2007, 12:10 AM
saleen coupe
2nd Gear Member

thanks adder you beena big help to me, i know i ask alot of questions but you guys are the only people i have to learn this from thanks again.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

I just wanted to add something from S B F tech.com...

I got a reply from Jay Allen, the cam guru at Camshaft Innovations. I just figured i'd post this up because Mattdel seems to doubt me and is having a power trip... so I just wanted to show him why so many people ask MY advise, and not his!

[IMG]local://upfiles/26017/056411E28FC743B48EB71CE912146F58.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yay for you. my powertrip is justified. you act like you rule this forum. lots of people here, pal. your not the only tech.

btw, as you posted in your own image, i am right. lean causes glowing. as does rich. my suggestion of lean was directed towards him and his particular problem. i've already told you in PM that you are correct as well, but this problem doesn't sound rich to me. his timing has been adjusted, and it didn't change much. that would tell me that its lean, instead of rich.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: mattdel

yay for you. my powertrip is justified. you act like you rule this forum. lots of people here, pal. your not the only tech.

btw, as you posted in your own image, i am right. lean causes glowing. as does rich. my suggestion of lean was directed towards him and his particular problem. i've already told you in PM that you are correct as well, but this problem doesn't sound rich to me. his timing has been adjusted, and it didn't change much. that would tell me that its lean, instead of rich.
he could have a leaky injector as well... causing it to be rich
Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

could be a chaffed wire causing cyl 1 and 8 injectors to fire twice... or it could be a problem with weak spark in those two cylinders, causing a slow burn and fuel being dumped into the exhaust.... or maybe the injectors are leaking
ive seen this countless times.
1. that orange wire you took off your old heads is the 0'2 senosor's ground.

2. readjust your valve lash one cylinder at a time sounds like those two cyl's may be misadjusted and take your time, im sure your didnt wait for the lifters to bleed down and then check again.

3. any vacumm leaks could be verified with starting fluid wile the car is warming up not full hot. you dont want a fire.

4. check engine temp, , also some new headers glow red for a while

Old 05-01-2007, 12:38 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

yes, but all the pipes were red. he adjusted the timing, and it went to 2 cylinders instead of 8.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:43 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattdel

yes, but all the pipes were red. he adjusted the timing, and it went to 2 cylinders instead of 8.
understood, the indication of lower timing may have helped the visual appearance, but not stopped the problem to a full extent, in other words he can still have a fuel delivery/install issue.
If all injectors,chips, codes checked and wiring etc are in order(external) usually the issue has to be internal- valve lash ,

ALOT of 5.0's ive seen, do this [:'(], last encounter was the lower and upper intake not sealing, so i used a dab of rtv.
other time, the valve lash was wrong and some valves were out of sync with others.

another, the new headers just did that, after we drove it a while it stopped