5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need opinions on cobra intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default need opinions on cobra intake

ok i have a cobra so of course it comes with a cobra intake... i am currently doing a h/c/i swap but i am keeping my cobra intake becuz its really not the restricting part in the setup and i like the stock look... i however do want it to be polished.... this i have found out is goin to take a lot of time to hand sand the stock aluminum intake to a nice smooth finish so i cna take white rogue and polish it up... i thot about buy a after market cobra intake... are they the same tho??? do they flow as well?? can u buy just the upper??? how much do they cost(the polished ones)? how much could i get for my old cobra intake if i were to buy a polished one and sell the old stock one??? i have already spend a nice amount in this project and really dont wanna spend a butt load more for no reason... at the same time i would like for it to look nice and show worthy(just lil fun shows.. nothing majorly serious)... what kind of opinions do i have for speeding up the sanding process on my stock cobra intake??/ what do u all think... stick with sanding on my stock cobra intake or buy an aftermarket cobra intake?? i just need advise im gettin really frustrated... ive spend 10hours and it seems like ill have to put another 60hrs in on sanding if i continue doin it like im doing.. with is buy hand
Old 04-30-2007, 08:34 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

Default RE: need opinions on cobra intake

also i do plan on gettin a turbo later on... i want a hp of about 450rwhp-500rwhp... would it be worth the cash to just get a nice aftermarket intake now??? and which one... i like hte victor junoir EFI but im thinking thats pricy.. and i really dont want a trick flow intake... i hate the wat they look... N/O to ne1... just my opinion
Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

The Cobra intake flows fairly well, but to make it flow as well as some of the best aftermarket intakes it needs a good port and polish job. The 93 Cobra intake is not the same as the 94-95 Cobra intakes. They can be "MADE" to work on our cars, but there are several things that need to be done, and several parts that are needed from a 93 and back to make them work. For what you're doing it's just not worth the hassel IMO.

Don't know about the painting thing, but I would say just find a local machine shop and or paint shop that powder coats intakes, and see what they would charge. Also check out www.showstang.com then go to the sponsors areas. One of Ericks sponsors does custom painted intakes, you just email them what you want done, they'll send you a ball park price back, then you mail it to them, they do the work, then they mail it back.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:09 PM
CrazyCobraSpeed
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

The Cobra intake flows fairly well, but to make it flow as well as some of the best aftermarket intakes it needs a good port and polish job. The 93 Cobra intake is not the same as the 94-95 Cobra intakes. They can be "MADE" to work on our cars, but there are several things that need to be done, and several parts that are needed from a 93 and back to make them work. For what you're doing it's just not worth the hassel IMO.

Don't know about the painting thing, but I would say just find a local machine shop and or paint shop that powder coats intakes, and see what they would charge. Also check out www.showstang.com then go to the sponsors areas. One of Ericks sponsors does custom painted intakes, you just email them what you want done, they'll send you a ball park price back, then you mail it to them, they do the work, then they mail it back.
i sent the email... but im really not thrilled about payin some1 a ton of money to shiny up an intake that isnt really all that great of an intake... i just like that its a cobra intake... thats hte only reason i want to keep it.. it goes with the car... looks good on it.... i dont see a need to spend a lot on an intake that is only mediocar at best... what other intakes are good for a resinable price... i want in polished too thats a requirement... otherwise id just paint this one black and be dont with it... which seems to be looking better and better every min i work on it